FIA president Todt: F1 would risk being banned if safety fell short

FIA president Jean Todt claims Formula 1 and other categories would be at risk of being banned if drivers were injured or killed in the kind of accidents witnessed recently

FIA president Todt: F1 would risk being banned if safety fell short

After Charles Leclerc's Belgian Grand Prix escape, after his halo was struck by a wheel on Fernando Alonso's car, as well as Marcus Ericsson's barrel roll at Monza last week and Fernado Alonso's Australian GP crash in 2016, Todt knows it is vital drivers are able to walk away from such incidents unhurt.

Although injuries and fatalities were an accepted part of F1 decades ago, Todt said the world has changed in such a way that any run of problems nowadays could have terrible consequences for motor racing.

Todt is convinced that when there is a chance to make safety improvements - like the FIA did with the halo - there should be no hesitation in acting.

"If you see Alonso's crash in 2016, if you see Ericsson on Friday, you should spend some time and realise how amazing it has become and the progress that has been done," said Todt, in an exclusive interview with Autosport. "It is not taken for granted.

"A few decades back, after [crashes like] that, drivers would not be there.

"It would be a big pain, because what was acceptable 40 years ago would not be acceptable now. And it could maybe mean that motor racing would be banned.

"Things have changed. So we must consider that."

Todt has never wavered in his belief that the halo was the right thing for F1, even though he faced criticisms from a number of drivers about its introduction at the start of this year.

"Sometimes, the frustrating thing is that when it was done, they [drivers] were not so much convinced," added Todt.

"But in a way we respect what they do and they should respect what we try to do. We did it because we were convinced it was a good thing.

"And maybe it changed a little bit the design of the car. But honestly I love racing, I love F1. I am not in shock when I see a car with the halo.

"My concern was, do they miss some visibility because of the halo?

"We did not want to introduce something where you improve some safety side, but you may jeopardise another one. And they did not have any concerns.

"So for me it was obvious. And sooner or later we knew that something would happen."

shares
comments
Leclerc meets Todt to show why the halo 'deserves' its place in F1
Previous article

Leclerc meets Todt to show why the halo 'deserves' its place in F1

Next article

Sainz always thought ex-Toro Rosso F1 team-mate Kvyat would return

Sainz always thought ex-Toro Rosso F1 team-mate Kvyat would return
How Ferrari’s Monaco headache became its Silverstone migraine Plus

How Ferrari’s Monaco headache became its Silverstone migraine

OPINION: Ferrari won the British Grand Prix with Carlos Sainz, but it ultimately cost Charles Leclerc a chance to make a bigger dent in Max Verstappen's title lead by leaving the Monegasque out on old tyres towards the end. Like Monaco, indecision over strategy proved to be the Scuderia's biggest issue - and if the team doesn't reflect, the headache can only intensify

The five factors behind Sainz winning a British GP he’d twice lost Plus

The five factors behind Sainz winning a British GP he’d twice lost

Formula 1 has a newest race winner, in a grand prix the victor appeared to have lost twice, only to charge back to headline a sensational and dramatic British Grand Prix. From a massive start crash to a late sprint finish, here’s how five factors saw Carlos Sainz take his maiden grand prix win

Formula 1
Jul 4, 2022
Why there was no case to answer in Aston’s latest F1 copycat saga Plus

Why there was no case to answer in Aston’s latest F1 copycat saga

The appearance of a revised Aston Martin in Spain caused controversy but PAT SYMONDS explains why the FIA investigation found the Silverstone team had no case to answer

Formula 1
Jul 3, 2022
Why it's Red Bull that really leads a three-way fight so far at Silverstone Plus

Why it's Red Bull that really leads a three-way fight so far at Silverstone

After a slow start to Friday at Silverstone, all the Formula 1 teams had to effectively cram in a day’s worth of practice into one hour. But there was still plenty to learn and while Ferrari topped the times, a three-way battle is brewing ahead of the British Grand Prix

Formula 1
Jul 2, 2022
Why the future is bright for the British GP Plus

Why the future is bright for the British GP

It wasn’t so long ago the situation looked bleak at Silverstone with the future of the British Grand Prix under threat. But a transformation has seen it restored to one of the most important races on the Formula 1 calendar, with bigger and better to come

Formula 1
Jul 1, 2022
Could mixed fortunes for F1's leading Brits turn around at Silverstone? Plus

Could mixed fortunes for F1's leading Brits turn around at Silverstone?

For the first time in many years, none of the local racers starts among the favourites for the British Grand Prix. But George Russell, Lewis Hamilton and Lando Norris could have reasons for optimism

Formula 1
Jun 30, 2022
Verstappen exclusive: Why F1’s champion isn’t fazed by Silverstone return Plus

Verstappen exclusive: Why F1’s champion isn’t fazed by Silverstone return

Max Verstappen is the world’s number one racing driver… and he’s determined to keep it that way. Speaking exclusively to GP Racing's OLEG KARPOV, the Red Bull driver explains why he’s relishing the 2022 championship battle with Charles Leclerc – and why he’s not worried about returning to Silverstone, the scene of the biggest accident of his career last year

Formula 1
Jun 30, 2022
Why Red Bull’s RB17 hypercar can help its F1 team Plus

Why Red Bull’s RB17 hypercar can help its F1 team

On Tuesday, Red Bull laid out its plans to develop and build a new hypercar - the RB17 - penned by Adrian Newey. As the project itself sates Newey as a creative outlet, it also offers Red Bull's Formula 1 team a number of new and exciting avenues to pursue

Formula 1
Jun 29, 2022