Ferrari Formula 1 team signs Antonio Giovinazzi for 2017 role

GP2 runner-up Antonio Giovinazzi will be the Ferrari Formula 1 team's 'third driver' in 2017

Ferrari Formula 1 team signs Antonio Giovinazzi for 2017 role

The Italian racer will be tasked with simulator duties for the Scuderia, as well as completing F1's mandatory 2017 young driver testing for the squad.

These are the only guaranteed Ferrari F1 duties for Giovinazzi next season, who was narrowly defeated by Red Bull's Pierre Gasly in the 2016 GP2 championship.

Ferrari will also consider the possibility of Giovinazzi racing in F1 for a customer team next year, or participating in free practice sessions, with a spokesman telling Autosport "nothing is planned; everything is open".

Sauber will use year-old Ferrari customer engines in 2017, and still has a race seat open alongside Marcus Ericsson, while both the Swiss squad and newcomer Haas have offered Ferrari academy drivers run-outs during grand prix practice sessions in recent seasons.

Ferrari has been monitoring Giovinazzi since his impressive run to second place in the 2015 European Formula 3 championship, and gave the 23-year-old a run in its F1 simulator following this year's Italian Grand Prix.

The team could view Giovinazzi up as a potential safeguard against future upheaval in its driver line-up, given current race drivers Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen are both out of contract at the end of 2017.

According to the spokesman, Giovinazzi has signed directly with the Scuderia rather than Ferrari's Driver Academy, which supports the careers of new GP3 champion Charles Leclerc, Antonio Fuoco, Giuliano Alesi - the son of ex-Ferrari F1 racer Jean - and Chinese driver Guan Yu Zhou.

Ferrari was particularly impressed by the way Giovinazzi pushed Gasly to the final round of the season in the GP2 title race, missing out on the title by just eight points despite his rookie status.

The team has subsequently moved to sign one of the most promising junior single-seater talents not already affiliated to an F1 manufacturer.

shares
comments
McLaren CEO Jost Capito set to leave the Formula 1 team

Previous article

McLaren CEO Jost Capito set to leave the Formula 1 team

Next article

Ferrari reveals 2017 Formula 1 car launch date

Ferrari reveals 2017 Formula 1 car launch date
Load comments
The core problems Yas Marina’s long-awaited tweaks won't address Plus

The core problems Yas Marina’s long-awaited tweaks won't address

OPINION: Changes to the layout of Abu Dhabi’s circuit aim to reverse the trend of insipid Formula 1 races there - the promoter has even described one of the new corners as “iconic”. And that, argues STUART CODLING, is one of this venue’s abiding failings

How Ferrari offered Britain's next F1 prospect what Red Bull couldn't Plus

How Ferrari offered Britain's next F1 prospect what Red Bull couldn't

Last year's Formula 2 runner-up Callum Ilott could be on his way to becoming the first Briton to contest a grand prix in an Alfa Romeo since Reg Parnell in 1950. But, says OLEG KARPOV, the Ferrari Driver Academy protege is having to temper his ambition at the moment – outwardly at least…

Formula 1
Jul 25, 2021
The signs that point to F1's rude health Plus

The signs that point to F1's rude health

OPINION: Formula 1's calendar might still be facing disruption as the pandemic affects travel but, says MARK GALLAGHER, the business itself is fundamentally strong thanks to the epic rivalry taking place on track and the consistent arrival of new sponsors

Formula 1
Jul 24, 2021
The unexpected benefit of F1’s sprint race repeat Plus

The unexpected benefit of F1’s sprint race repeat

OPINION: Formula 1's sprint race trial at Silverstone drew mixed feedback on Saturday, but there remained the true test of how it would impact Sunday's Grand Prix. While fans were busy marvelling at Fernando Alonso's progress, a key lesson was being learned that would directly contribute to the dramatic lap one clash at Copse the following day

Formula 1
Jul 22, 2021
The off-track considerations that led to F1’s Hamilton/Verstappen Silverstone shunt Plus

The off-track considerations that led to F1’s Hamilton/Verstappen Silverstone shunt

OPINION: Formula 1’s 2021 title fight turned ugly last weekend when Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton collided at the start of the British Grand Prix. Verstappen thankfully walked away unharmed, but this had been a clash long-since coming

Formula 1
Jul 21, 2021
Will 2022's all-new cars look like F1's concept model? Plus

Will 2022's all-new cars look like F1's concept model?

Formula 1 provided its clearest example yet of what the 2022 cars are set to look like when it presented a full-scale concept to the world during the build-up to last weekend’s British Grand Prix. Underneath the special shiny livery was a design that hinted at the future, but teams will be digging into key areas that may reap differing results

Formula 1
Jul 20, 2021
British Grand Prix Driver Ratings Plus

British Grand Prix Driver Ratings

The 2021 British Grand Prix will live long in the memory for the dramatic clash between Formula 1's two title protagonists, which opened the door for other drivers to capitalise. One did so in spectacular fashion, while others fluffed their lines

Formula 1
Jul 19, 2021
How Leclerc almost defied Hamilton after F1 title rivals’ Silverstone clash Plus

How Leclerc almost defied Hamilton after F1 title rivals’ Silverstone clash

A poor start for Valtteri Bottas and the lap one clash between Formula 1's 2021 title protagonists gave Charles Leclerc a surprise lead in the British Grand Prix that he almost held to the end. Here's how the Ferrari driver came close to a famous victory, ultimately denied by a recovering Lewis Hamilton three laps from home

Formula 1
Jul 19, 2021