Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Verstappen reignites quit threats amid schism over 2027 F1 rule changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen reignites quit threats amid schism over 2027 F1 rule changes

Hamilton risks Canadian GP grid penalty for impeding Gasly

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Hamilton risks Canadian GP grid penalty for impeding Gasly

F1 Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli and Norris to last-gasp Montreal pole

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli and Norris to last-gasp Montreal pole

Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

Mercedes boss defends Antonelli's fury following clash with Russell

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Mercedes boss defends Antonelli's fury following clash with Russell

Antonelli wants Mercedes "clarity" over Russell defence in Canada F1 sprint

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Antonelli wants Mercedes "clarity" over Russell defence in Canada F1 sprint

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads Antonelli in Montreal

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads Antonelli in Montreal

Fernando Alonso set to sign with Renault F1 team from 2021 season

Two-time Formula 1 world champion Fernando Alonso is set to make a sensational return to Renault, with a two-year deal expected to be announced as early as Wednesday

Alonso raced for Renault in 2003-06, winning the F1 world championship in the last two seasons, before returning to the team in 2008-09.

While much has changed at Renault over the past decade there are still many people at Enstone who know him well from his previous stints with the team, including veteran sporting director Alan Permane.

He will also be reunited with current Renault technical director Pat Fry, with whom he worked with at both McLaren and Ferrari.

With Daniel Ricciardo leaving Renault at the end of the season to join McLaren, following Carlos Sainz Jr's move to Ferrari to replace Sebastian Vettel, Renault had been assessing its options to partner Esteban Ocon for 2021.

Last week team boss Cyril Abiteboul confirmed that Renault had been talking to "big names", although he declined to elaborate on the prospects for Alonso.

"We need a quick driver, and we need a driver that can understand and buy into Renault's project," he said.

"We are very clear about the nature of our team. We are a bit of a unique team in the F1 landscape, but at the same time also a young team, still in the making, with some struggles - in particular last year.

"So we need someone who's capable to understand all of that, and understand the value of all the work, effort and ethics we are putting into that. I'm not saying that Daniel [Ricciardo] has not understood that, that's absolutely not what I mean. I'm talking about the future.

"So we are talking to a few names, some big names, some lesser known names. We are taking the time, making sure there is a good alignment between what we are and what a team is looking to get in a team like ours."

Asked last week for his thoughts on Alonso as a potential team-mate in 2021, Ocon said he would be happy if it happened.

"My personal choice has no relation to what the team is going to do," said the Frenchman. "I have a great relationship with Fernando. The helmet I have and the only swap I did in between the drivers was with him.

"He was the one with Michael [Schumacher], his fights back in the day, that gave me the love for the sport.

"I don't know if he's going to join or not with us, but definitely if he could come back, I would be very happy."

Alonso, who turns 40 in July next year, last raced in F1 with McLaren in 2018 and his immediate focus is on contesting this year's Indy 500 with the Arrow McLaren SP team.

Previous article The rules anomaly that saved Hamilton from harsher punishment
Next article Wolff: DAS not a "silver bullet" for Mercedes F1 team

Top Comments

Latest news