Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Top 10 F1 drivers of the 1960s

Feature
Formula 1
Top 10 F1 drivers of the 1960s

How GM tech accelerated Cadillac's F1 entry

Formula 1
Canadian GP
How GM tech accelerated Cadillac's F1 entry

MotoGP chief defends officiating of Catalan GP

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP chief defends officiating of Catalan GP

The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

Feature
Formula 1
The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

How Aprilia's Barcelona collapse showed the pressures of leading MotoGP's title race

Feature
MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
How Aprilia's Barcelona collapse showed the pressures of leading MotoGP's title race

Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

National
Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Feature
IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Felipe Massa questions value of Mugello's F1 test

Felipe Massa has questioned the value of last week's test at Mugello, saying it felt like a lost test that could have taken place before the start of the season

Formula 1 teams had their first proper in-season test in four years at the Italian track last week, and some questioned the choice given the nature of the circuit, which resembles few of the tracks currently on the calendar.

"The most important part of this break of three weeks between Bahrain and the Spanish Grand Prix was obviously the test in Mugello," he wrote in his blog on Ferrari's website.

"It was good to make use of this extra time, although I am not sure quite how useful it was.

"Don't get me wrong, it's always useful to test, but in order to run at Mugello, we 'lost' one test before the start of the season and I'm not sure if that is the way to go."

Massa is still convinced Ferrari made a step forward in terms of performance in the test, although he is not making any predictions about how much it will help the team close the gap to the front.

"It is a bit too early to say how much progress we have made with this test and the real answer will not come until maybe the qualifying session in Barcelona on Saturday," he said.

"But we have made a step forward, with new parts, which Fernando tried on the last of the three days in Mugello, producing more performance and now we will have even more new parts to assess on Friday at the Catalunya track.

"There is no doubting how hard everyone has been working at Mugello during this break in the calendar and even before then, but all the other teams will have been developing their cars.

"We have said it many times before, but it is still true today; we must make a bigger step forward than the teams who were faster than us in the first part of the season."

Previous article Raikkonen, Grosjean say Lotus must have perfect weekend to win
Next article Pastor Maldonado eyes qualifying improvement for Williams

Top Comments

Latest news