F1 teams happy for Bahrain Grand Prix to go ahead

Formula 1 teams say they are happy for the Bahrain Grand Prix to go ahead, after receiving reassurances from Bernie Ecclestone in China on Friday

F1 teams happy for Bahrain Grand Prix to go ahead

Representatives from all the teams met with Ecclestone in the break between first and second practice to discuss the Bahrain situation - as moves were made to clear up queries they had.

Red Bull Racing team principal Christian Horner said that the ending of speculation about the matter was welcome - with teams having been told by the FIA earlier in the day that the Bahrain GP was definitely on.

"I think it's clear," said Horner. "The confusing thing has been uncertainty, so I think for everybody here in the paddock now it's clear that there will be a race in Bahrain next week."

Williams director Toto Wolff, who attended the meeting for the Grove-based team, told AUTOSPORT: "We have to rely on competent people. The FIA issued a statement relying on people there, and competent people. They say it is safe; safe for teams, safe for F1, and that is why we go full steam ahead to Bahrain.

"I am happy to take the team to Bahrain. I have to balance out what information I get and, at the moment, it seems to be competent information. And you have to, at a certain stage, rely on that information. I would rather go for [information from] competent people being there, rather than Facebook."

Wolff said that the meeting had been positive, and that it was good to get some dialogue with Ecclestone about the situation there.

"The teams expressed I would not say concern, but they wanted to know whether everything we heard was right, and we have to rely on this."

Although Ecclestone insisted that there were no problems in Bahrain, Horner did say that his outfit would be taking extra safety precautions.

"I think we take the security of all our employees very carefully and, so inevitably, as with other races, sometimes extra precautions are taken," he said.

"We'll do our best to ensure that all our guys and girls are in a secure environment, and I don't doubt that for a moment. I think the statement from the FIA is clear and you are looking at thousands of people attending that race, not just Red Bull Racing."

shares
comments
Bernie Ecclestone calls for Bahrain GP speculation to stop as he confirms event will go ahead

Previous article

Bernie Ecclestone calls for Bahrain GP speculation to stop as he confirms event will go ahead

Next article

Michael Schumacher quickest in second practice for the Chinese Grand Prix

Michael Schumacher quickest in second practice for the Chinese Grand Prix
Load comments

About this article

Series Formula 1
Author Jonathan Noble
The clues Hamilton’s F1 contract afterthought gives to his future Plus

The clues Hamilton’s F1 contract afterthought gives to his future

The Formula 1 world reacted with surprise when it learned Lewis Hamilton’s long-awaited new Mercedes deal guarantees his presence on the grid only until the end of 2021. Both parties claimed publicly they were happy with the arrangement but, asks MARK GALLAGHER, is there more to it than that?

How a harshly ejected Red Bull star has been hooked by racing again Plus

How a harshly ejected Red Bull star has been hooked by racing again

Driver-turned-DJ Jaime Alguersuari lost his love for motorsport when he was booted out of Formula 1 just as he was starting to polish his rough edges. Having drifted from category to category then turned his back on racing altogether in 2015, he’s come full circle and is planning a return in karts for fun

Why Mercedes isn't confident it's really ahead of Red Bull at Imola Plus

Why Mercedes isn't confident it's really ahead of Red Bull at Imola

While Mercedes struck back against Red Bull by topping the times at Imola on Friday ahead of the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix, the overall picture remains incredibly close. Despite having a possible edge this weekend, the reigning Formula 1 world champion squad is not taking anything for granted...

Formula 1
Apr 16, 2021
What Mercedes must do to keep its F1 title challenge on track Plus

What Mercedes must do to keep its F1 title challenge on track

Mercedes may find itself leading the drivers' and constructors' standings after Lewis Hamilton's victory in the Bahrain Grand Prix, but it is well-aware that it came against the odds, with Red Bull clearly ahead on pace. Here's what the Brackley team must do to avoid its crown slipping

Formula 1
Apr 16, 2021
Why Tsunoda can become Japan’s greatest F1 talent Plus

Why Tsunoda can become Japan’s greatest F1 talent

While Japan's fever for motor racing is well-documented, the country has yet to produce a Formula 1 superstar – but that could be about to change, says BEN EDWARDS

Formula 1
Apr 15, 2021
Why the demise of F1's hypocritical spending habit is cause for celebration Plus

Why the demise of F1's hypocritical spending habit is cause for celebration

For too long, F1's richest teams have justified being able to spend as much as they want because that's the way they've always conducted their business. STUART CODLING says that's no reason not to kick a bad habit

Formula 1
Apr 14, 2021
The double whammy that is defining Vettel’s F1 fate Plus

The double whammy that is defining Vettel’s F1 fate

It's been a tough start to Sebastian Vettel's Aston Martin F1 career, with a lack of pre-season testing mileage followed by an incident-packed Bahrain GP. But two key underlying factors mean a turnaround is not guaranteed

Formula 1
Apr 14, 2021
The diva that stole a march on F1’s wide-bodied opposition Plus

The diva that stole a march on F1’s wide-bodied opposition

In 2017 new F1 technical regulations were supposed to add drama - and peg Mercedes back. STUART CODLING looks at the car which, while troubled, set the stage for the wide-bodied Formula 1 era

Formula 1
Apr 13, 2021