F1 News: French GP called off amid ongoing COVID-19 disruption

Formula 1 has confirmed the French Grand Prix at Paul Ricard has been cancelled, pushing the earliest possible start of the new season into July

F1 News: French GP called off amid ongoing COVID-19 disruption

The French government announced earlier this month it would be extending existing lockdown measures for an additional month in the bid to combat the spread of COVID-19.

French president Emmanuel Macron had confirmed the ban on public gatherings would remain until "mid-July", which made the prospect of staging the grand prix scheduled for 28 June at Paul Ricard highly improbable.

F1 confirmed in a statement on Monday that the French Grand Prix "would not go ahead in 2020", becoming the tenth race this year to be called off.

Eric Boullier, managing director of the French GP said: "Given the evolution of the situation linked to the spread of the Covid-19 virus, the French Grand Prix takes note of the decisions announced by the French State making it impossible to maintain our event.

"The eyes of the GIP Grand Prix de France - Le Castellet are already turning towards the summer of 2021 in order to offer our spectators an even more original event in the heart of the Southern Region."

F1 boss Chase Carey added: "We have been in close contact with the French promoter during this evolving situation and while it is disappointing for our fans and the F1 community that the French Grand Prix will not take place we fully support the decision taken by the French authorities in France and look forward to being back at Paul Ricard soon."

It means the Austrian Grand Prix on 5 July is now the earliest race yet to be called off.

The Austrian government has begun to ease the national lockdown, but is still enforcing strict social distancing rules.

Officials in Austria have said they are open to hosting the race behind closed doors, and the event promoters believe an isolation plan to keep team personnel away from the local community will help boost chances of the race going ahead.

The next event scheduled after Austria is the British Grand Prix on 19 July, which announced earlier this morning that no fans will be permitted to attend if the event can be run at all.

A heavily-revised schedule is anticipated once the pandemic allows for racing to resume, including two-day race weekends, a series of triple-header events, and an extension into 2021.

Races in Australia, Bahrain, China, Vietnam, the Netherlands, Spain, Azerbaijan and Canada have already been postponed.

The Monaco Grand Prix is the only other F1 event to have been officially cancelled outright so far.

A minimum of eight races on three continents are required for the F1 season to count as a world championship, which Brawn said could still be achieved even if racing resumed as late as October.

shares
comments
Coronavirus: when will motorsport resume in 2020?
Previous article

Coronavirus: when will motorsport resume in 2020?

Next article

F1 News: Early plans for 2020 calendar revealed with July start

F1 News: Early plans for 2020 calendar revealed with July start
Load comments
The humbling changes Ricciardo made to deliver the goods for McLaren  Plus

The humbling changes Ricciardo made to deliver the goods for McLaren 

From being lapped by his own team-mate in Monaco to winning at Monza, it’s been a tumultuous first season at McLaren for Daniel Ricciardo. But, as he tells STUART CODLING, there’s more to the story of his turnaround than having a lovely summer holiday during Formula 1's summer break...

The potential benefits of losing the F1 constructors' title Plus

The potential benefits of losing the F1 constructors' title

As the battle continues to rage over the F1 2021 drivers' championship, teams up and down the grid are turning their attentions to the prize money attributed to each position in the constructors' standings. But F1's sliding scale rules governing windtunnel and CFD use will soften the blow for those who miss out on the top places

Formula 1
Nov 25, 2021
The invisible enemy that’s made Hamilton’s title charge tougher Plus

The invisible enemy that’s made Hamilton’s title charge tougher

After winning his past few Formula 1 titles at a canter, Lewis Hamilton currently trails Max Verstappen by eight points heading into the final double-header of 2021. Although Red Bull has been his biggest on-track challenge, Hamilton feels that he has just as much to grapple with away from the circuit

Formula 1
Nov 24, 2021
Why F1’s inconvenient penalties have to stay Plus

Why F1’s inconvenient penalties have to stay

OPINION: Quibbles over the length of time taken by Formula 1's stewards over decisions are entirely valid. But however inconvenient it is, there can be no questioning the importance of having clearly defined rules that everyone understands and can stick to. Recent events have shown that ambiguity could have big consequences

Formula 1
Nov 23, 2021
The mistakes Red Bull cannot afford to repeat in F1 2021’s title fight climax Plus

The mistakes Red Bull cannot afford to repeat in F1 2021’s title fight climax

OPINION: Red Bull has had Formula 1’s fastest package for most of 2021, but in several of the title run-in events it has wasted the RB16B’s potential. It cannot afford to do so again with Lewis Hamilton motoring back towards Max Verstappen in the drivers’ standings with two rounds remaining

Formula 1
Nov 23, 2021
Qatar Grand Prix Driver Ratings Plus

Qatar Grand Prix Driver Ratings

Qatar was a virtual unknown for most as Formula 1 made its inaugural visit to the Gulf state, and tyre management quickly emerged as an even more critical factor than normal. Perhaps then it should come as no surprise that two of the championship's elder statesmen produced standout drives

Formula 1
Nov 22, 2021
How Hamilton dominated in Qatar despite missing a key Mercedes advantage Plus

How Hamilton dominated in Qatar despite missing a key Mercedes advantage

There was simply no stopping Lewis Hamilton on Formula 1's first visit to Qatar. The Mercedes driver eased to pole position and led every lap to secure an utterly dominant victory - even without a key Mercedes weapon in his arsenal to increase the heat on Red Bull heading into the final two races of the gripping 2021 title race

Formula 1
Nov 22, 2021
How Surtees became an unappreciated Ferrari great Plus

How Surtees became an unappreciated Ferrari great

John Surtees and Enzo Ferrari parted ways amicably but could have achieved more together. On the weekend that Formula 1 makes its bow in Qatar, a country best-known for staging bike racing, NIGEL ROEBUCK recalls the career of the formidable ‘Big John’ - the first man to achieve success at the highest level on two and four wheels

Formula 1
Nov 21, 2021