Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

National
Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Feature
IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

The mental challenge Evans takes on at Rally Japan

WRC
Rally Japan
The mental challenge Evans takes on at Rally Japan

Why the Catalan GP chaos may finally force MotoGP riders to unite

Feature
MotoGP
Catalan GP
Why the Catalan GP chaos may finally force MotoGP riders to unite

Why Ford 'loves the V8 idea' in F1 amid changing road car strategy

Formula 1
Why Ford 'loves the V8 idea' in F1 amid changing road car strategy

What we learned from MotoGP's wretched Catalan GP

Feature
MotoGP
What we learned from MotoGP's wretched Catalan GP

Esteban Ocon expects to miss out on new Force India F1 wing in Bahrain

Esteban Ocon expects to miss out on Force India's new Formula 1 front wing if the team decides to use it in this weekend's Bahrain Grand Prix

Force India introduced a significant upgrade for the season opening Australian Grand Prix but its updated front wing was not expected until the second race.

The team has only brought one upgraded version to Bahrain though and Ocon said on Thursday that Perez, ahead in the championship by virtue of his higher finishing position in Melbourne, will be the driver to use it.

"We only have one, we'll test it and normal policy is the driver on top of the championship [gets it]," said Ocon.

"Even though we have no points it should be Sergio."

Ocon said he was still optimistic for the Bahrain race because the team had a detailed Friday plan to work out what went wrong in Australia.

"It's clear where we are and we're not where we want to be exactly," said Ocon.

"We're bottom of the midfield to be honest but that's not what's important.

"This will be a very important weekend to understand a lot of things, to understand why we couldn't improve so much from testing to the race.

"We'll have a lot of things to test, including a new front wing, so that's a great thing.

"Last year we had a difficult time in the beginning of the season but we improved through the year and that's what we want to achieve again this year."

Perez agreed that practice running Bahrain would be particularly important because the team's upgrade package "was not doing what we thought it should do".

"We have to understand it a bit better," he added. "Not having the time to run it properly [in Australia, where FP3 was hit by heavy rain] hurt us a bit.

"There is potential in the car, and if we can unlock some of it that will bring us a

lot closer to the competition."

After two consecutive fourth-place finishes in the constructors' championship, both drivers ranked Force India at the bottom of the midfield battle at the start of this season, behind Haas, Renault and McLaren.

"Things change massively quickly in Formula 1," said Ocon.

"Last year we started not very quick and we ended up qualifying fifth and sixth in normal conditions.

"That's why I think in the year you can get a much faster car and everything is possible."

Previous article Formula 1: Vettel quantifies Ferrari's pace deficit to Mercedes
Next article Hulkenberg: Renault's new Formula 1 car is 'behind expectations'

Top Comments

Latest news