Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

What we learned from the 2026 F1 Dutch GP sprint race and qualifying

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
What we learned from the 2026 F1 Dutch GP sprint race and qualifying

Verstappen suffering from "flu-like" illness as Zandvoort exposes Red Bull's fundamental problems

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Verstappen suffering from "flu-like" illness as Zandvoort exposes Red Bull's fundamental problems

Why Verstappen's 2026 Mercedes contact was very different from last year's

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why Verstappen's 2026 Mercedes contact was very different from last year's

F1 Dutch GP: Norris pips Russell to grab pole

Formula 1
Dutch GP
F1 Dutch GP: Norris pips Russell to grab pole

BTCC Donington Park: Morgan leads dominant 1-2 for Plato’s old team

BTCC
Donington Park (Grand Prix Circuit)
BTCC Donington Park: Morgan leads dominant 1-2 for Plato’s old team

Why Williams problems are worse than previously known

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why Williams problems are worse than previously known

BTCC Donington Park: Ingram leads practice from Doble

BTCC
Donington Park (Grand Prix Circuit)
BTCC Donington Park: Ingram leads practice from Doble

LIVE: F1 Dutch GP updates - Norris beats Russell to pole position

Formula 1
Dutch GP
LIVE: F1 Dutch GP updates - Norris beats Russell to pole position

Ecclestone confident about FIA probe

Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone is confident the Ferrari espionage case will be dealt with properly by the FIA, the sport's governing body

The FIA said on Wednesday it had began an investigation into the espionage claims from Ferrari, who have accused their former technical manager Nigel Stepney of passing secrets to rivals McLaren.

The governing body's probe will focus exclusively on the requirements of the sport's regulations, and Ecclestone is adamant the matter will be treated properly.

Ecclestone, however, has warned to be very careful with the accusations.

"It will be dealt with in the correct manner," Ecclestone told The Times newspaper.  "What is important is that there are no mistakes made.

"If somebody is saying, 'You did something wrong', we need to make sure we know what we are talking about. We don't want to go in there firing a gun with no bullets in the chamber.

"We don't know the McLaren side of things or the guy who allegedly took the drawings - is it him personally? Or is McLaren involved? Ron [Dennis, the team principal] says it's not McLaren - he's completely transparent - and if it's the guy himself, did he buy them?

"Did he know they were stolen when he received them? Because he is in just as big trouble as the person who stole them, isn't he?"

Ecclestone added that McLaren drivers Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton will not lose championship points as a result of the controversy.

"If it (the information) was used, did it affect in any way the performance of the car and, if so, where?" Ecclestone added. "In that case they (the FIA) could take away constructors' points from the team.

"But there is no way it would affect the driver. It is nothing to do with the driver. He's got the car, he gets into the car, he has no idea."

Previous article Fry 'fed up' with Honda's poor starts
Next article Firm in new bid to secure British GP

Top Comments