Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Alex Marquez to miss next two MotoGP rounds after Barcelona crash

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
Alex Marquez to miss next two MotoGP rounds after Barcelona crash

How Hamilton switched to a "different approach" for F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
How Hamilton switched to a "different approach" for F1 Canadian GP

Where you can find the best battles of F1 2026

Feature
Formula 1
Where you can find the best battles of F1 2026

Red Bull outlines timeline for new F1 wind tunnel

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull outlines timeline for new F1 wind tunnel

Monster to become Aprilia's title sponsor in MotoGP from Italian GP

MotoGP
Monster to become Aprilia's title sponsor in MotoGP from Italian GP

Why quirky Montreal will remain F1's true North American gem

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why quirky Montreal will remain F1's true North American gem

Why the real F1 pecking order won't be seen until Barcelona at the earliest

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why the real F1 pecking order won't be seen until Barcelona at the earliest

MotoGP considers reducing riders to one bike from 2027

MotoGP
MotoGP considers reducing riders to one bike from 2027

Dennis Defiant over Third Car

McLaren boss Ron Dennis has hit back at claims from rivals Ferrari that his team are gaining an unfair advantage by running a third car in Friday practice at Grands Prix

The Woking-based team's disappointing form in 2004 led to slumping to fifth overall in the Constructors' Championship - which meant they were eligible for a rule agreed by all the teams that allows the bottom six teams to run a third car on Fridays.

Although Ferrari technical director Ross Brawn went on the attack in Malaysia last weekend, claiming that it was unfair for a top team like McLaren to run the extra car because the rule was originally designed to help the smaller outfits, Dennis is defiant about his team's use of the car.

"The reality is that the teams unanimously agreed to the process," said Dennis. "We're not exploiting anything that doesn't exist in the rules. If we went into the last Grand Prix and we were in a position that would put us fourth in the points, we would have done it. We are not proud of our 2004 performance.

"Equally if we are out of the top four, under the regulations we are entitled to run a car and we feel comfortable doing it."

Dennis himself, however, thought differently last year.

"I would be very surprised if it happened," he said of the third car rule in September last year. "It was really never designed for any top teams to take advantage. It's pretty simple to see how this will unfold."

The only way that the rule can be changed is for there to be unanimous agreement among the teams - something that is almost certainly impossible to achieve at the moment because of a major split between Ferrari and the rest of the grid over testing limits.

Previous article Pollock: No Worries over Villeneuve
Next article Exclusive: Vasselon to Join Toyota

Top Comments