Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

How GM tech accelerated Cadillac's F1 entry

Formula 1
Canadian GP
How GM tech accelerated Cadillac's F1 entry

MotoGP chief defends officiating of Catalan GP

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP chief defends officiating of Catalan GP

The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

Feature
Formula 1
The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

How Aprilia's Barcelona collapse showed the pressures of leading MotoGP's title race

Feature
MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
How Aprilia's Barcelona collapse showed the pressures of leading MotoGP's title race

Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

National
Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Feature
IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Chandhok critical of Mallya over Indian drivers' remarks

Karun Chandhok has criticised Force India boss Vijay Mallya for his comments about Indian Formula 1 drivers

Mallya, whose team has launched a programme to find new Indian talent, said over the British Grand Prix weekend that he did not understand why Chandhok or compatriot Narain Karthikeyan would want to drive for back-of-the-grid teams in F1.

Chandhok, who made his grand prix debut with HRT last year, is currently Lotus's reserve.

Karthikeyan drove for Hispania this year before he was dropped in favour of Australian Daniel Ricciardo.

"As far as the existing Indian drivers in Formula 1 are concerned, I can only feel very sorry for them," Mallya said. "They are getting drives by the teams who clearly can't compete.

"If that's what they want to do, drive a Formula 1 car for the sake of driving a Formula 1 car and winding up at the back, I can't do anything about it."

Speaking to the Reuters news agency on Wednesday, Chandhok hit out at Mallya for his comments.

He also suggested Force India's programme was simply not enough to get new Indian drivers into F1.

"I think it's a bit sad that in one breath the chairman of our Indian ASN is talking about how much he has done for Indian drivers and then in the next breath he is criticising India's only two Formula 1 drivers," Chandhok said.

"If you are going to criticise people, at least do it with some facts. Having never tested either Narain or myself in one of his cars, he doesn't have the facts.

"I understand the need to find the next Indian star, and I use the word next, not first, and the need to create more Indian F1 drivers.

"But you are not going to find the next Indian star by running events in single-engined four-stroke rental karts on 400 metre tracks made out of concrete."

Previous article Parr says diffuser controversy not bad for Formula 1
Next article Alonso not thinking about F1 title despite Ferrari's Silverstone resurgence

Top Comments