Bernie defends Brit GP decision

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has defended his decision to drop the British Grand Prix from next year's schedule and claimed that if he had accepted a cut-price offer to host the race then it would have been unfair on other venues paying a top-rate fee for their events

Bernie defends Brit GP decision

Ecclestone insisted that the decision he has taken was not motivated by personal greed to get as much money as possible, but was purely because he had to maintain a certain rate-card with venues - and he had already done as much as he could do to accommodate Silverstone.

It is understood that the BRDC offered Ecclestone $10 million per year to be promoters of the race, about $6 million less than Ecclestone was after. Another reason Ecclestone chose to reject the deal was that he was after a seven-year contract, whereas the BRDC was only willing to commit for three years.

"I have given them their chances for years," said a defiant Ecclestone. "I even offered to go into a joint venture deal with them to help out, but they refused that. I try to be fair and honest with everybody but I cannot give Silverstone what they want because that isn't fair to the other circuits around the world.

"The deal I offered them was already on the old terms and the cheapest in Europe and the rest of the world. It was a really super deal. We have gone along with them for a long time but I couldn't do any more. They don't want to take a risk. In fact, they don't want to do anything that doesn't suit them."

Ecclestone made comparisons between Silverstone's plight, where he would not receive a top-rate fee for a venue that he is not completely happy with, and Shanghai, which paid top whack and provided a state-of-the-art facility.

"We took a lot of time over Shanghai, getting the deal right and the people there went and built this magnificent circuit," explained Ecclestone. "Turkey next year will be great as well. You can't go around the world asking people to build these terrific facilities and then we have this thing back in England called Silverstone that we are ashamed of.

"Obviously, I regret that we can't have a British Grand Prix but this is a commercial deal and I have to be fair to everybody, not just Silverstone."

Speaking about the specifics of the deal, Ecclestone claimed that the BRDC could have done more to help save the race - and believed there was plenty of room for the club to make a profit hosting the British Grand Prix.

He added: "They came to me with a letter which more or less said, 'take it or leave it'. The obvious thing they should know is that when they say that to me, that is an opportunity to leave it. They say they can't make money out of it, but they have admitted they have made £8 million or £10 million out of the race in the past.

"I put up a third of the money for the improvements at the circuit and all they did was build car parks. That's it. They paid nothing for the circuit in the first place and they are saying they can raise £150 million by selling half the land. I don't know where all the money goes.

"I want to deal with a commercial organisation, not a gentleman's club, which is what has been happening at Silverstone for far too long."

The BRDC is still hoping that a last-minute intervention can save the race before the provisional 2005 calendar is issued at a meeting of the FIA World Council in Paris on October 13.

But, with France also set to be axed from the schedule, the difficulty both races will face in finding a way back onto the calendar is that they will now be the 18th race - which means they must come up with extra cash to pay the teams for competing there.

The Concorde Agreement, the document by which F1 is run, puts a limit of 17 races in a season. Any extra can only be added if the teams are unanimous in their support - which usually means they must be given financial compensation.

Having been unable to afford the race in the first place, this means getting even more finances on board will be virtually impossible for both Silverstone and Magny-Cours.

shares
comments
Bernie accused of money focus

Previous article

Bernie accused of money focus

Next article

Hill: Silverstone Should be Treated Like Ferrari

Hill: Silverstone Should be Treated Like Ferrari
Load comments
The forgotten F1 comeback that began Jordan’s odyssey  Plus

The forgotten F1 comeback that began Jordan’s odyssey 

Before Michael Schumacher – or anyone else – had driven the 191 (or 911 as it was initially called), Eddie Jordan turned to a fellow Irishman to test his new Formula 1 car. JOHN WATSON, a grand prix winner for Penske and McLaren, recalls his role in the birth of a legend…

The squandered potential of a 70s F1 underdog Plus

The squandered potential of a 70s F1 underdog

A podium finisher in its first outing but then never again, the BRM P201 was a classic case of an opportunity squandered by disorganisation and complacency, says STUART CODLING

Formula 1
Sep 18, 2021
The other notable Monza escape that F1 should learn from Plus

The other notable Monza escape that F1 should learn from

OPINION: The headlines were dominated by the Italian Grand Prix crash between Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton, who had the halo to thank for avoiding potentially serious injury. But two days earlier, Formula 1 had a lucky escape with a Monza pitlane incident that could also have had grave consequences

Formula 1
Sep 17, 2021
How Monza only added more questions to F1's sprint race conundrum Plus

How Monza only added more questions to F1's sprint race conundrum

With two sprint races under its belt, Formula 1 must now consider its options for them going forward. While they've helped deliver exciting racing on Sundays, the sprints themselves have been somewhat lacking - creating yet another conundrum for F1 to solve...

Formula 1
Sep 16, 2021
Who should Alfa Romeo sign for 2022's F1 season? Plus

Who should Alfa Romeo sign for 2022's F1 season?

OPINION: With Valtteri Bottas already signed up for 2022, all eyes are on the race for the second seat at Alfa Romeo next year. Antonio Giovinazzi is the current incumbent, but faces a tough competition from appealing short and long-term prospects

Formula 1
Sep 15, 2021
The "forced break" that was key to Ricciardo's Monza excellence Plus

The "forced break" that was key to Ricciardo's Monza excellence

OPINION: Daniel Ricciardo has long been considered one of Formula 1’s elite drivers. But his struggles at McLaren since switching from Renault for 2021 have been painful to watch at times. Yet he’s recovered to banish those memories with a famous Monza win – built on a critically important foundation

Formula 1
Sep 14, 2021
How Verstappen is ruining his F1 title battle with Hamilton Plus

How Verstappen is ruining his F1 title battle with Hamilton

OPINION: The Italian GP clash between Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen followed a running theme in the 2021 Formula 1 title fight. Their close-quarters battles have often resulted in contact - and although Hamilton has shown a willingness to back off, Verstappen must learn to temper his aggression

Formula 1
Sep 14, 2021
Italian Grand Prix Driver Ratings Plus

Italian Grand Prix Driver Ratings

Two drivers produced maximum-score performances as, for the second year in a row, Monza threw up an unpredictable result that left several others ruing what might have been

Formula 1
Sep 13, 2021