Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Red Bull went against Verstappen's set-up feedback: “Sometimes they have to feel it”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull went against Verstappen's set-up feedback: “Sometimes they have to feel it”

What we learned from the 2026 F1 Canadian GP sprint race and qualifying

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
What we learned from the 2026 F1 Canadian GP sprint race and qualifying

Verstappen reignites quit threats amid doubts over 2027 F1 rule changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen reignites quit threats amid doubts over 2027 F1 rule changes

Update: Hamilton avoids Canadian GP grid penalty for impeding Gasly

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Update: Hamilton avoids Canadian GP grid penalty for impeding Gasly

F1 Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli and Norris to last-gasp Montreal pole

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli and Norris to last-gasp Montreal pole

Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads Antonelli in Montreal

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads Antonelli in Montreal

BAR Deny Offering a Deal for Button

BAR have not offered Williams any 'driver-plus-cash' deal in a bid to keep Briton Jenson Button, team boss Nick Fry said on Tuesday

"No offer has been made and there have been no discussions," he told Reuters.

"I've read a number of stories which have suggested a deal is being put together. That is not the case."

British newspapers reported that the Honda-powered team planned to offer Williams their highly-rated test driver Anthony Davidson plus a significant cash sum in exchange for allowing Button to stay at BAR.

The papers suggested BAR, who are fighting hard to keep Button, would pay Davidson's salary for two years as part of a soccer-style transfer deal.

Williams, who gave Button his Grand Prix debut in 2000, agreed a contract with the driver last year.

Despite Fry's denial of an offer, team sources said BAR would be happy to discuss a deal although there was no indication that Williams were interested.

"There is no suggestion to date from Williams that they want to do a deal," agreed Fry.

Frank Williams said at the weekend that he expected Button to join them in January and could see no circumstances that would change that.

"Frank has always had a good relationship with Jenson but he is not taking kindly to the way he is trying to avoid returning to the team," The Sun quoted a 'Williams insider' as saying.

"At the moment Jenson is one of the team's greatest assets and Frank is not about to be turned over."

Legal Battle

Williams and BAR fought a legal tug-of-war over Button last year after the Briton said he wanted to return to the BMW-powered team.

Since then, former champions Williams and their German engine partners have fallen out while Japanese car giant Honda have bought 45 percent of BAR.

Fry has said Button wants to stay with BAR, who believe they can offer the 25-year-old a better chance of being World Champion.

Button has refused to comment on the situation and Fry said BAR did not know the details of his contract.

"The contract which allegedly exists is between his (Button's) company and Williams," he said. "We haven't seen the contract and nor do we have any knowledge of what is in it, barring the apocryphal."

Fry said that it was in everyone's interests for the situation to be sorted out quickly: "I'd say three or four weeks, but we'd prefer it to be sooner."

BAR blocked Davidson from testing with Williams last year when they had a vacancy alongside Australian Mark Webber but Fry said they would not stand in his way if a top opportunity came along.

"He's used to driving for a decently-resourced and run Formula One team and I think Anthony is raring to drive. We wouldn't unreasonably stand in his way to do that."

 

Previous article BAR Seek Urgent Guidance on Tobacco
Next article Hungary Preview Quotes: McLaren

Top Comments

Latest news