Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - practice

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - practice

The steps Antonelli and Mercedes have taken to solve his F1 start problem

Formula 1
Canadian GP
The steps Antonelli and Mercedes have taken to solve his F1 start problem

Why WRC 2027 car project is the “most difficult” Toyota has faced

Feature
WRC
Rally Japan
Why WRC 2027 car project is the “most difficult” Toyota has faced

What Sky's new F1 TV deal means for Apple

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
What Sky's new F1 TV deal means for Apple

What will F1's switch to a 60-40 power split bring? The drivers give their verdict

Formula 1
Canadian GP
What will F1's switch to a 60-40 power split bring? The drivers give their verdict

Ferrari is down on power "even to Ford", says Leclerc

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Ferrari is down on power "even to Ford", says Leclerc

Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

Super Formula
Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

How McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Feature
Formula 1
How McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Bahrain renews Grand Prix deal

Bahrain have renewed their Formula One contract, it was confirmed on Monday, securing the event's long-term future on the calendar

The Middle Eastern country's original deal was due for renewal after 2008, and the imminent announcement about a race in Abu Dhabi had prompted speculation that they could lose the race.

However, Bahrain has announced the completion of a new 'long term' deal with Formula One Management - which is likely to be for another five years. This will mean the country will hold the race at the Sakhir circuit until 2013.

F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone said: "It was a real pleasure to bring Formula One to the Kingdom of Bahrain, and I'm pleased to confirm that this relationship will continue into the future. Just three years ago Formula One - and motor sport in general - did not have any presence in the region.

"Bahrain has not only built a venue that is among the very best in the world and deservedly won acclaim for its Grand Prix, but has also built foundations for the current growth of interest and investment in Formula One across the Middle East.

"I look forward to continuing our relationship with His Highness the Crown Prince, the Bahraini government, the team at the Bahrain International Circuit as well as enjoying the warm and friendly welcome for which the Kingdom is renowned in the seasons ahead."

Abu Dhabi is hosting a special Formula One festival this weekend where organisers are expected to announce that they will hold a Grand Prix in 2009.

Bahrain first hosted a Grand Prix in 2004 and held the season opener last year after Melbourne requested to be put back on the calendar to avoid a clash with the Commonwealth Games.

Previous article Q & A with Renault's Tim Densham
Next article Piquet focused on Renault job

Top Comments