Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne safe, insists Bernie Ecclestone

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone insists he is willing to extend Melbourne's grand prix contract for the long term

Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne safe, insists Bernie Ecclestone

Melbourne's future as a grand prix venue has come under increasing doubt, with Ecclestone hinting at the start of the 2012 season that the race could be dropped and that F1 could walk away from Australia when the current contract expires in 2015.

Melbourne officials meanwhile have expressed their desire to keep the race, but with a reduced hosting fee.

Ecclestone said he was keen to extend F1's deal with Albert Park officials and secure the sport's future in Australia.

"Everybody loves Australia, and it's good to be there," Ecclestone told the Australian Grand Prix's official podcast.

"I understand we do get a little bit of criticism but I don't know why. We're happy with Melbourne and I'd be happy to sign a 50-year contract.

"We don't have a problem with Melbourne; we hope we're going to be [there] forever."

Ecclestone also played down the significance of growing complaints about the cost of the race after an Australian newspaper revealed the hosting fee was more than £20 million per year.

Asked what the fee secured, Ecclestone said: "to get a Formula 1 event, the same as anyone else in the world.

"Melbourne probably doesn't need to be put on the map, but that's what Formula 1 does for a city: it gets an awful lot more worldwide television coverage than other events Melbourne has.

"You start wondering, 'are we really wanted in Melbourne?'

"Whenever these sorts of things happen I'm told don't be silly about that, it's just one or two people making noise.

"It appears to be [wanted] now, [and] we're happy for Formula 1 to be there."

shares
comments
Renault unveils first images of 2014 Formula 1 V6 turbo
Previous article

Renault unveils first images of 2014 Formula 1 V6 turbo

Next article

Mercedes' Lowe deal no threat to Brawn, insists Lauda

Mercedes' Lowe deal no threat to Brawn, insists Lauda
The five factors behind Sainz winning a British GP he’d twice lost Plus

The five factors behind Sainz winning a British GP he’d twice lost

Formula 1 has a newest race winner, in a grand prix the victor appeared to have lost twice, only to charge back to headline a sensational and dramatic British Grand Prix. From a massive start crash to a late sprint finish, here’s how five factors saw Carlos Sainz take his maiden grand prix win

Why there was no case to answer in Aston’s latest F1 copycat saga Plus

Why there was no case to answer in Aston’s latest F1 copycat saga

The appearance of a revised Aston Martin in Spain caused controversy but PAT SYMONDS explains why the FIA investigation found the Silverstone team had no case to answer

Formula 1
Jul 3, 2022
Why it's Red Bull that really leads a three-way fight so far at Silverstone Plus

Why it's Red Bull that really leads a three-way fight so far at Silverstone

After a slow start to Friday at Silverstone, all the Formula 1 teams had to effectively cram in a day’s worth of practice into one hour. But there was still plenty to learn and while Ferrari topped the times, a three-way battle is brewing ahead of the British Grand Prix

Formula 1
Jul 2, 2022
Why the future is bright for the British GP Plus

Why the future is bright for the British GP

It wasn’t so long ago the situation looked bleak at Silverstone with the future of the British Grand Prix under threat. But a transformation has seen it restored to one of the most important races on the Formula 1 calendar, with bigger and better to come

Formula 1
Jul 1, 2022
Could mixed fortunes for F1's leading Brits turn around at Silverstone? Plus

Could mixed fortunes for F1's leading Brits turn around at Silverstone?

For the first time in many years, none of the local racers starts among the favourites for the British Grand Prix. But George Russell, Lewis Hamilton and Lando Norris could have reasons for optimism

Formula 1
Jun 30, 2022
Verstappen exclusive: Why F1’s champion isn’t fazed by Silverstone return Plus

Verstappen exclusive: Why F1’s champion isn’t fazed by Silverstone return

Max Verstappen is the world’s number one racing driver… and he’s determined to keep it that way. Speaking exclusively to GP Racing's OLEG KARPOV, the Red Bull driver explains why he’s relishing the 2022 championship battle with Charles Leclerc – and why he’s not worried about returning to Silverstone, the scene of the biggest accident of his career last year

Formula 1
Jun 30, 2022
Why Red Bull’s RB17 hypercar can help its F1 team Plus

Why Red Bull’s RB17 hypercar can help its F1 team

On Tuesday, Red Bull laid out its plans to develop and build a new hypercar - the RB17 - penned by Adrian Newey. As the project itself sates Newey as a creative outlet, it also offers Red Bull's Formula 1 team a number of new and exciting avenues to pursue

Formula 1
Jun 29, 2022
What to expect from Mercedes as F1 returns to Silverstone Plus

What to expect from Mercedes as F1 returns to Silverstone

OPINION: The British Grand Prix is a home event for Lewis Hamilton and George Russell, with their Mercedes team based just a few miles away too. But there’s another reason why the Silver Arrows squad is eager to arrive at Silverstone this weekend, which may help it fix its remaining problems with its 2022 Formula 1 challenger

Formula 1
Jun 29, 2022