Bahrain Grand Prix chiefs say they are now 'ready' for the Formula 1 race to be reinstated on the calendar this season.
Although the future of the event has been uncertain since it was postponed earlier this year because of political turmoil in the Gulf state, officials said on Saturday that the situation has improved enough for it to press on with getting the event put back on the schedule.
Representatives from the Bahrain International Circuit have travelled to this weekend's race in Turkey to meet with teams and F1 officials to discuss the plan - and they say things are now in place for it to seek the race taking place.
Zayed Rashed Al Zayani, chairman of the Bahrain International Circuit, told AUTOSPORT in an exclusive interview: "If it was up to us, we are ready. We are happy to have it. We are ready to host it. But unfortunately it is not our decision alone.
"There are many factors involved. We are hoping for the best and would like to have the race back obviously."
He added: "It was our decision at the beginning of the year to postpone the race because there were more priorities happening in Bahrain. Things are calm now, life is back to normal.
"We are in a position to have international events once again - and we have already confirmed the CIK event in November plus other motorsport events. And we are happy to have F1 back in Bahrain. We have been there for seven grands prix already and we would like to continue."
Al Zayani said that discussions with F1 chiefs had not got as far as sorting out a possible date for the event, but believed that working that out with the FIA was the next step to resolving its future.
"We have to find a solution with them [the FIA]," he said. "We have to reach a solution, whether we have a race or not. And if we have the race, then they will need to work more than us on the date. We are there any day of the year.
"And if they can slot us in somewhere, then we will start planning for the actual event to take place. Otherwise, if the consensus is not to have a race for this year, then we will wait for the 2012 calendar and then we will plan accordingly."
Autosport has produced a standalone special magazine to celebrate our 70th birthday. All current print subscribers will receive a copy for free. To order your copy of the 196-page Autosport 70th Anniversary issue, please go to: autosport.com/autosport70th