Former double world champion Fernando Alonso has admitted he is worried about his own future, and where Formula 1 is heading, as the row over new regulations showed no sign of abating at Monaco on Wednesday.
With Ferrari having lost its legal bid to prevent a voluntary budget cap being introduced in F1 next year, the sport is set for an intense few days to resolve differences between the teams and the FIA on cost cuts.
Alonso, whose Renault team has said it will not enter F1 next year unless the rules are changed, has confessed that the situation has left him very uneasy.
When asked by AUTOSPORT if amid all the political turmoil he feared that he would not be racing in F1 next year, Alonso said: "Yes. It is very worrying."
Although the Spaniard says the political distractions will not divert his attention from racing this weekend, he concedes it is difficult not to think about it when away from the race track.
And he has made it clear that he does not want to race in a category dominated by just new teams.
"I tried to switch off and concentrate on this business," he said. "Here, when I am in Monaco, I will be 100 per cent focused on the grand prix, with the weekend. But it is true that last week when I was at home it was impossible to switch off because I don't know if this will be my last time in Monaco.
"If the big teams and the big manufacturers leave F1 then I don't want to race with small teams, because it is not any more F1 and there are many other categories.
"For me, it is strange that no one sat down and thought how we are damaging the sport, how much damage the sport has had in the last two months. To have those three or four new teams and losing seven of the big manufacturers I cannot understand - and not losing only seven manufacturers but losing the 10 best drivers in the world. It becomes no more interesting, F1."
Alonso is scheduled to attend the Le Mans 24 Hours race next month, and has admitted that competing in the event in the future would be of interest to him - but he denied his focus would rest there if he was forced out of F1.
"I hope to race more than one race a year, but obviously I am 27, I have been two-times world champion and I would like to win more categories and more series."