Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

BTCC Donington Park: Ingram leads practice from Doble

BTCC
Donington Park (Grand Prix Circuit)
BTCC Donington Park: Ingram leads practice from Doble

F1 Dutch GP: Russell controls sprint race as Leclerc overhauls Norris for second

Formula 1
Dutch GP
F1 Dutch GP: Russell controls sprint race as Leclerc overhauls Norris for second

Supercars Ipswich: Kostecki and Brown take a win each in hectic first day

Supercars
Ipswich Super 440
Supercars Ipswich: Kostecki and Brown take a win each in hectic first day

Why Honda's new F1 engine comes with fresh but expected driveability issues

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why Honda's new F1 engine comes with fresh but expected driveability issues

The advice Marquez gave Hadjar over his wrist injury

Formula 1
Dutch GP
The advice Marquez gave Hadjar over his wrist injury

F1 Dutch GP: Russell takes pole in tight sprint qualifying with Antonelli fifth

Formula 1
Dutch GP
F1 Dutch GP: Russell takes pole in tight sprint qualifying with Antonelli fifth

LIVE: F1 Dutch GP updates - Russell takes sprint pole from Norris

Formula 1
Dutch GP
LIVE: F1 Dutch GP updates - Russell takes sprint pole from Norris

LIVE: F1 Dutch GP updates - Russell wins sprint race from Leclerc

Formula 1
Dutch GP
LIVE: F1 Dutch GP updates - Russell wins sprint race from Leclerc

Vettel and Leclerc "mature enough" to move on from Styrian GP F1 clash

Sebastian Vettel says that he and Ferrari team-mate Charles Leclerc are "both mature enough" to move on from their first-lap clash in Sunday's Styrian Grand Prix

Both Ferrari drivers were forced to retire early on at the Red Bull Ring after Leclerc ran into the side of Vettel's car on the opening lap, leaving both with damage.

It marked the second time in four races a clash between Vettel and Leclerc had caused a double retirement for Ferrari following their collision in Brazil last year.

Leclerc was quick to accept responsibility for the collision, but Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto said it was "not the time" to place blame.

Asked about his talks with Leclerc in the aftermath of the incident, Vettel was confident they would be able to move on from the clash and learn from it.

"It's fine, I think we're both mature enough. We move on," Vettel said.

"Obviously it's a bad weekend for both of us. It's been tough anyway, and now to retire both cars obviously is bitter.

"It was difficult after last weekend. The mindset is I'm always optimistic.

"The good news is that we have the race straightaway next week, so I don't have to wait too long to get back in the car. Let's see, I hope that Hungary is a better place for us."

The clash denied Ferrari the chance to see how the fast-tracked updates for the SF1000 car worked across a race distance following a disappointing start to the season.

The team lies fifth in the constructors' championship after two races, with less than one-quarter of Mercedes' points haul.

Team chief Binotto called it "the worst possible end to a weekend that was already very disappointing".

"These things can happen unfortunately," Vettel said.

"It's very bitter for both of us, no matter which way you turn it. Surely it was no-one's intention, and it's a tough day for us as a team.

"But we need to make sure that we don't knock ourselves down too much so that standing up is not so difficult."

Previous article Renault seeks urgent solution after second F1 radiator failure
Next article Racing Point: Renault's Styrian GP protest "misconceived and poorly informed"

Top Comments

Latest news