Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Why Williams problems are worse than previously known

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why Williams problems are worse than previously known

BTCC Donington Park: Ingram leads practice from Doble

BTCC
Donington Park (Grand Prix Circuit)
BTCC Donington Park: Ingram leads practice from Doble

F1 Dutch GP: Russell controls sprint race as Leclerc overhauls Norris for second

Formula 1
Dutch GP
F1 Dutch GP: Russell controls sprint race as Leclerc overhauls Norris for second

Supercars Ipswich: Kostecki and Brown take a win each in hectic first day

Supercars
Ipswich Super 440
Supercars Ipswich: Kostecki and Brown take a win each in hectic first day

Why Honda's new F1 engine comes with fresh but expected driveability issues

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why Honda's new F1 engine comes with fresh but expected driveability issues

The advice Marquez gave Hadjar over his wrist injury

Formula 1
Dutch GP
The advice Marquez gave Hadjar over his wrist injury

F1 Dutch GP: Russell takes pole in tight sprint qualifying with Antonelli fifth

Formula 1
Dutch GP
F1 Dutch GP: Russell takes pole in tight sprint qualifying with Antonelli fifth

LIVE: F1 Dutch GP updates - Russell wins sprint race from Leclerc

Formula 1
Dutch GP
LIVE: F1 Dutch GP updates - Russell wins sprint race from Leclerc

F1 News: No room for DNFs in shortened 2020 season

Renault Formula 1 driver Esteban Ocon says there can be no room for race retirements in the 2020 season, with the shortened schedule making any failure to finish more costly

F1 bosses announced on Monday they remain hopeful of staging a 15-18 race season in 2020 despite the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, starting with a run of European races this summer.

A shortened season would put more pressure on teams to take advantage of opportunities to score big points, potentially forcing drivers to try riskier moves on-track.

But Renault driver Ocon stressed the importance of avoiding retiring from races when speaking in an interview with Sky Sports.

Asked if the condensed schedule would produce some surprises, Ocon replied: "Yeah, for sure.

"There's not going to be any 'joker' [results], there's no place for DNFs.

"It's going to be very important to finish all the races, score all the points available, and get it to the finish."

Ferrari driver Charles Leclerc said last week he thought fewer races could help create some shocks as drivers would have to take more risks.

"Obviously having less and less races, people will want maybe to take a bit more risk," Leclerc said.

"So yes, we might have some surprises and it might be actually quite exciting to watch.

"I'm pretty sure Mercedes and Lewis [Hamilton] are still the favourites even if it's an eight races championship, so it's going to be very difficult to beat them.

"But yeah, probably [we] will risk, at least more on track with risky strategy or risky overtakes. Maybe it will pay off, maybe it will not."

F1 requires at least eight races across three continents to count as a world championship this year.

Leclerc's team-mate Sebastian Vettel recently said that a shortened season would not diminish the value of the championship in 2020, a sentiment Ocon agreed with.

"The most [races] we can do, the better it would be for a championship," Ocon said.

"I agree that a good 10 races, if we can do that or more, would be still valid.

"There is enough races and it's the same for everyone to determine who is the best and who is not in the end.

"As long as we can race, I am happy."

Previous article F1 News: Leclerc "happy" to keep Vettel as 2021 Ferrari team-mate
Next article From the Ferrari brains trust to Autosport

Top Comments