Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

DS Penske finishes in style with a victory for Barnard

Formula E
London ePrix II
DS Penske finishes in style with a victory for Barnard

Formula E London E-Prix: Wehrlein takes second title despite no points in season finale

Formula E
London ePrix II
Formula E London E-Prix: Wehrlein takes second title despite no points in season finale

DTM Nurburgring: Wittmann wins for BMW after AMG meltdown

DTM
Nurburgring
DTM Nurburgring: Wittmann wins for BMW after AMG meltdown

Why Garden Gate Green and Yamura White are all part of McLaren’s colourful history

Feature
Formula 1
Why Garden Gate Green and Yamura White are all part of McLaren’s colourful history

The changes that thrust BMW into title contention in WEC

WEC
The changes that thrust BMW into title contention in WEC

The best drives of F1 2026 so far, according to our writers

Formula 1
Dutch GP
The best drives of F1 2026 so far, according to our writers

A fine performance from DS Penske in race one at the London E-Prix

Formula E
London ePrix I
A fine performance from DS Penske in race one at the London E-Prix

Formula E London E-Prix: Wehrlein dominates race one to take championship lead

Formula E
London ePrix I
Formula E London E-Prix: Wehrlein dominates race one to take championship lead

F1 Bahrain GP to be run behind closed doors due to coronavirus

Bahrain has decided to run its Formula 1 grand prix behind closed doors as a result of the coronavirus outbreak

Just days after the kingdom announced that it was halting ticket sales as it moved to evaluate its response to the situation, it has now announced that spectators will not be allowed at the 22 March event.

In a statement issued on Sunday morning, Bahrain said that the second round of the championship would be a televised event only.

"In consultation with our international partners and the Kingdom's national health Taskforce, Bahrain has made the decision to hold this year's Bahrain Grand Prix as a participants-only event," it said.

"As an F1 host nation, balancing the welfare of supporters and race goers is a tremendous responsibility.

"Given the continued spread of COVID-19 globally, convening a major sporting event, which is open to the public and allows thousands of international travellers and local fans to interact in close proximity would not be the right thing to do at the present time.

"But to ensure that neither the sport, nor its global supporter base, is unduly impacted, the race weekend itself will still go ahead as a televised event."

Bahrain said that the strict measures it had made to limit the spread of the virus over recent weeks would have been scuppered if thousands of fans had visited the race.

It added: "Bahrain's own early actions to prevent, identify and isolate cases of individuals with COVID-19 has been extremely successful to date.

"The approach has involved rapid, proactive measures, identifying those affected by the virus, of which the overwhelming majority of cases relate to those travelling into the country by air.

"Aggressive social distancing measures have further increased the effectiveness of preventing the virus' spread, something that would clearly be near impossible to maintain were the race to have proceeded as originally planned.

"We know how disappointed many will be by this news, especially for those planning to travel to the event, which has become a cornerstone event of the international F1 calendar, but safety has to remain our utmost priority."

The move by Bahrain comes just hours after Italy announced that many of its regions were being put under quarantine - including Modena where Ferrari is based.

Next weekend's season opening Australian Grand Prix is still due to take place though.

Previous article Italy coronavirus lockdown plans threaten F1, MotoGP season-openers
Next article Haas F1's Grosjean brushes off criticism from social media trolls

Top Comments