Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Champion rally driver Fiorio dies aged 61

WRC
Champion rally driver Fiorio dies aged 61

Switch off or ramp up? How the smartest F1 drivers managed the summer break

Feature
Formula 1
Switch off or ramp up? How the smartest F1 drivers managed the summer break

Ford reveals new LMDh car on track at Paul Ricard

WEC
Ford reveals new LMDh car on track at Paul Ricard

Worm's Eye View is Polley's triple Formula Vee winning perspective at Silverstone

National
Worm's Eye View is Polley's triple Formula Vee winning perspective at Silverstone

Dickens defeats the Bentleys after intriguing Silverstone Allcomers tale

National
Dickens defeats the Bentleys after intriguing Silverstone Allcomers tale

The team orders debacle that made for a controversial Formula E title decider

Feature
Formula E
London ePrix II
The team orders debacle that made for a controversial Formula E title decider

Why Honda's F1 project looks completely different from its Red Bull years

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why Honda's F1 project looks completely different from its Red Bull years

How Ericsson won another messy IndyCar street race

Feature
IndyCar
Markham
How Ericsson won another messy IndyCar street race

McLaren F1 team not interested in Red Bull's terms for James Key

McLaren's new Formula 1 technical director James Key is unlikely to join during the 2018 season, with the team not interested in Red Bull's proposed Toro Rosso early release deal

Red Bull was frustrated when McLaren announced the signing of Key in July.

The two parties had been talking about an early release for Key, but McLaren going public took Red Bull by surprise and complicated negotiations.

There have been suggestions that Red Bull might be willing to do a deal that would involve Lando Norris released by McLaren to drive for Toro Rosso next year, but Red Bull motorsport advisor Helmut Marko said it was simply a matter of money.

"We told McLaren what would solve the problem, and we didn't hear anything," Marko told Autosport.

"We are not in a hurry. It's financial - we don't mix things."

Brown confirmed there were now no ongoing discussions, and said he was not interested in the figure that Red Bull had suggested.

"We're in no dialogue with them," said Brown when asked about the situation by Autosport.

"They have named their terms. I'm not interested in the terms that they've put forward."

Brown admitted that he did not know when Key would be free to start his new job.

"We have signed a contract with James, so he will be joining McLaren as technical director," he said.

"We're still working through the timing of that. I think it's highly unlikely that he will join us this season and we don't have a specific start date yet."

Marko said Norris was irrelevant to the Key talks as he will be a free agent after September 30 if he does not have a 2019 McLaren F1 race seat.

"At the moment there's a clear situation," he said. "If they give him a drive by the end of September, he is fixed. If not he is free."

Brown also denied suggestions his team had agreed a deal with former McLaren and Ferrari man Pat Fry to return to the camp.

But he admitted there would be further staffing announcements.

"We are talking to a variety of people to strengthen our technical department," said Brown.

"We've hired some people internally, that we've not really spoken about [publicly], and we'll have some other people joining the team that we'll speak about in due course."

Previous article FIA monitoring potential 'servant teams' Formula 1 controversy
Next article Haas willing to block Force India Formula 1 money deal alone

Top Comments

Latest news