Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

DS Penske finishes in style with a victory for Barnard

Formula E
London ePrix II
DS Penske finishes in style with a victory for Barnard

Formula E London E-Prix: Wehrlein takes second title despite no points in season finale

Formula E
London ePrix II
Formula E London E-Prix: Wehrlein takes second title despite no points in season finale

DTM Nurburgring: Wittmann wins for BMW after AMG meltdown

DTM
Nurburgring
DTM Nurburgring: Wittmann wins for BMW after AMG meltdown

Why Garden Gate Green and Yamura White are all part of McLaren’s colourful history

Feature
Formula 1
Why Garden Gate Green and Yamura White are all part of McLaren’s colourful history

The changes that thrust BMW into title contention in WEC

WEC
The changes that thrust BMW into title contention in WEC

The best drives of F1 2026 so far, according to our writers

Formula 1
Dutch GP
The best drives of F1 2026 so far, according to our writers

A fine performance from DS Penske in race one at the London E-Prix

Formula E
London ePrix I
A fine performance from DS Penske in race one at the London E-Prix

Formula E London E-Prix: Wehrlein dominates race one to take championship lead

Formula E
London ePrix I
Formula E London E-Prix: Wehrlein dominates race one to take championship lead

Japanese GP: Sainz to replace Palmer at Renault after Suzuka race

Jolyon Palmer is to leave the Renault Formula 1 team after the Japanese Grand Prix, with Carlos Sainz Jr replacing him from the next race in the United States

Following months of speculation regarding the future of the Briton, he revealed after qualifying that Sunday's race at Suzuka will be his final one with the team.

A statement from Renault said the decision had been reached "mutually".

"The Japanese Grand Prix will be my last race for Renault," said Palmer.

"It's been an extremely challenging season and I've been through a lot in the last three years, but it's been a tremendous journey overall with the team.

"I can look back proudly at the performance in the second half of last season, my first point in Malaysia and of course reaching a career high of sixth place in Singapore this year.

"I wish the team all the best for the future.

"My immediate focus is now on achieving the best possible result in the Japanese GP, and then I can assess my options for the future."

Sainz, who was going to replace Palmer for next season anyway, will be drafted across from Toro Rosso.

Discuss the move on the Autosport Forums

His switch will then give an opportunity for Daniil Kvyat to return to action if Pierre Gasly elects to race at Austin rather than return to Super Formula, where he is fighting for the title.

Palmer has faced doubts about his immediate future at the team ever since it emerged that Sainz had been signed for 2018.

However, his sixth-placed finish in the Singapore Grand Prix initially appeared to ease pressure on Renault regarding Palmer's place at the team.

Renault Sport managing director Cyril Abiteboul said: "I would like to thank Jolyon for his commitment to the team and his professionalism.

"Since Renault's return to Formula 1, Jolyon has been highly dedicated in an evolving environment.

"He has shown great personal qualities and we wish him all the best in his future career."

Previous article Daniel Ricciardo expected Red Bull to be closer to Mercedes
Next article Honda boss 'ashamed' by Fernando Alonso grid penalty at home race

Top Comments

Latest news