Rovanpera set for Peugeot full season
Despite dropping to fourth place on the final stage of Rally Finland, Harri Rovanpera's strong drive on this weekend's event has given his chances of securing a full time WRC drive with Peugeot for next year a definite boost
Rovanpera looked set to follow team mate Marcus Gronholm home for a Peugeot one-two until a shock absorber problem on his 206 WRC forced the Finn to drop back costing him two places.
The 35-year-old is only completing a part-season with the French marque this year, but is hoping to step up to a full-time drive for 2002. And Rovanpera looks to have already done enough to impress Peugeot boss Corrado Provera with this weekend's performance allied to victory in Sweden and a second place on last month's gruelling Safari Rally.
"It is true that we are in very advanced discussions with Harri," said Provera. "He is a nice guy, a fast driver and a gentleman. We really would like him to stay with us and he seems to like the idea."
Rovanpera has been nominated to score manufacturers' points for Peugeot on the last two rallies over team regular Didier Auriol. However, he remains unsure as to whether a full works drive is on the cards or not.
"It's very nice of Corrado to say that and I'll be very pleased if that's possible," said Rovanpera, after his fourth place on Sunday.
For Rally Finland results, click here.
Share Or Save This Story
Subscribe and access Autosport.com with your ad-blocker.
From Formula 1 to MotoGP we report straight from the paddock because we love our sport, just like you. In order to keep delivering our expert journalism, our website uses advertising. Still, we want to give you the opportunity to enjoy an ad-free and tracker-free website and to continue using your adblocker.
Top Comments