Latvala: Citroen wrong to drop Meeke from WRC squad mid-season

Jari-Matti Latvala believes Citroen acted incorrectly by sacking Kris Meeke halfway through the 2018 World Rally Championship and should have honoured his contract

Latvala: Citroen wrong to drop Meeke from WRC squad mid-season

Meeke, who had been hired to lead Citroen's title challenge in its factory WRC return with the C3, was dismissed between the last two rounds in what the team called a safety-related decision following recent large accidents.

But Toyota driver Latvala was one of several WRC contenders who spoke out in Meeke's defence.

"It's a shock," Latvala told Autosport.

"This isn't something we have seen in the driver market for a long, long time.

"For me, if you have a contract you don't change it, you commit for the year."

Meeke's fellow Briton Elfyn Evans said fans would miss his approach on and off the stages. "Kris is a straight-talking-kind-of-bloke," said Evans.

"He calls a spade an spade and people like that, the fans responded well to him and he'll be missed.

"I have to say, it was quite strange not to have him in Sardinia. He started his first full season with Citroen when I started my first full year with M-Sport.

"Obviously he had a lot more experience, but I kind of looked up to him, he started competing against my dad."

Reigning WRC champion Sebastien Ogier felt Citroen's decision was "harsh" on Meeke and co-driver Paul Nagle.

"It's always a surprise to see that happening in the middle of the season," said Ogier.

"I don't want to make a judgement, I don't have all the elements, but it seems a bit harsh for Paul and Kris."

Ogier's sympathy was echoed by his title rival Thierry Neuville, who described Meeke as "a very fast and committed driver and a good friend as well".

Neuville added: "I wish him the best of luck. Whether we see him back or not, I don't know, but he was a great pilot and had a great career.

"But Citroen has made a decision and it's not for us to judge."

There is speculation that Meeke is already negotiating with teams about future possibilities, but he is currently remaining tight-lipped about his plans.

shares
comments
World Rally drivers want 'stupid' artificial jumps banned

Previous article

World Rally drivers want 'stupid' artificial jumps banned

Next article

WRC team pushing for 2019 Rally Italy boycott if it's on Sardinia

WRC team pushing for 2019 Rally Italy boycott if it's on Sardinia
Load comments

About this article

Series WRC
Drivers Jari-Matti Latvala , Kris Meeke
Author David Evans
Why the casualty of rallying's evolution should still be cherished Plus

Why the casualty of rallying's evolution should still be cherished

The WRC's support categories are in a process of streamlining that will spell the end of a formalised 2WD world championship-level category. While its relevance to the top level has been questioned for some time, that doesn't mean it should be swept quietly under the carpet

WRC
Apr 5, 2021
Why WRC's hybrid path could leave it at a crossroads Plus

Why WRC's hybrid path could leave it at a crossroads

With all three major manufacturers committing to the World Rally Championship’s hybrid era from 2022, the future of the series is assured for now, but it could lead to trickier twists and turns further down the road

WRC
Apr 1, 2021
How Tanak froze out the competition at the Arctic Rally Plus

How Tanak froze out the competition at the Arctic Rally

Ott Tanak made up for a disastrous Monte Carlo Rally by leading all the way on the snow-kissed stages of the Arctic Rally Finland and in the process hit back at an event Toyota had been expected to dominate

WRC
Mar 1, 2021
What to expect from the WRC's venture to the Arctic Plus

What to expect from the WRC's venture to the Arctic

This week's Arctic Rally Finland will bring the World Rally Championship into new territory. And, almost without exception, the service park can't wait for the subzero challenge to commence

WRC
Feb 25, 2021
How Ogier achieved a fitting Monte Carlo farewell Plus

How Ogier achieved a fitting Monte Carlo farewell

Against pandemic-shaped odds, the World Rally Championship season opener went ahead in Monte Carlo last weekend as a familiar face again took top spot. But for an emotional Sebastien Ogier, his record-breaking eighth win meant more than most

WRC
Jan 25, 2021
What to look out for in the 2021 WRC Plus

What to look out for in the 2021 WRC

As the 2021 World Rally Championship prepares to launch amid tight COVID-19 restrictions in Monte Carlo, here are the eight things unrelated to the pandemic that you should keep an eye on this year

WRC
Jan 21, 2021
Evans on the talking points of WRC 2021 Plus

Evans on the talking points of WRC 2021

He came close to the title last year, and now Toyota's Elfyn Evans gives his verdict on what to expect from 2021 as the World Rally Championship prepares to reconvene for the Monte Carlo season opener

WRC
Jan 20, 2021
Why Britain's continued WRC absence is a wake-up call Plus

Why Britain's continued WRC absence is a wake-up call

OPINION: With Rally GB dropping off the World Rally Championship calendar for the second year in a row, one of Britain's best-attended sporting events faces an uncertain future. It's an unfortunate situation that points to troubling times ahead

WRC
Jan 12, 2021