Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Why Ford 'loves the V8 idea' in F1 amid changing road car strategy

Formula 1
Why Ford 'loves the V8 idea' in F1 amid changing road car strategy

What we learned from MotoGP's wretched Catalan GP

Feature
MotoGP
What we learned from MotoGP's wretched Catalan GP

How Verstappen's Nurburgring adventure marked the next phase of his legacy

Feature
GT
How Verstappen's Nurburgring adventure marked the next phase of his legacy

Why Nurburgring 24 Hours agony may motivate Verstappen to return

Endurance
Why Nurburgring 24 Hours agony may motivate Verstappen to return

Final Catalan GP results as five riders penalised and Mir loses MotoGP podium

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Final Catalan GP results as five riders penalised and Mir loses MotoGP podium

Acosta slams Catalan GP calls: “It’s awful we acted as if nothing happened”

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Acosta slams Catalan GP calls: “It’s awful we acted as if nothing happened”

DS Penske solid despite frustrating finish in Monaco E-Prix

Formula E
Monaco ePrix II
DS Penske solid despite frustrating finish in Monaco E-Prix

Formula E Monaco E-Prix: Rowland reignites title challenge with first win of 2025-26

Formula E
Monaco ePrix II
Formula E Monaco E-Prix: Rowland reignites title challenge with first win of 2025-26

Oliveira says KTM has “offered” Tech3 demotion for MotoGP 2023

Three-time MotoGP race winner Miguel Oliveira says KTM has “offered” him a demotion from its factory squad back to Tech3 for 2023, which he admits is “not my dream place”.

Miguel Oliveira, Red Bull KTM Factory Racing

The rider market for the 2023 season is in a hot state at the moment following the shock decision from Suzuki following the Spanish Grand Prix to quit MotoGP at the end of the year.

This has put both Alex Rins and Joan Mir on the market, as well as the likes of Jack Miller – who is set to lose his seat at the factory Ducati squad in 2023 – and Pol Espargaro, who is likely to be replaced by Mir at Honda.

Rins confirmed at Le Mans he has had discussions with KTM, with Miller and Espargaro also linked with the Austrian brand.

PLUS: Why Ducati holds all the power in its MotoGP rider dilemma

Following Friday practice at the Italian GP, Oliveira revealed he had been offered a move back to Tech3 – with whom he raced in 2019 and 2020 – but was not keen on it.

“I mean, this was something that was offered this week,” he said of a Tech3 seat.

“I will consider it, but it will not be my dream place.”

KTM motorsport boss Pit Beirer confirmed this discussion had taken place and that Oliveira must be open to the possibility that staying as a KTM rider will mean returning to a satellite outfit.

“I mean, Miguel was caught by a question and surprised to have this question because we discussed this internally and it’s not true that it is confirmed he is moving to Tech3,” he told MotoGP’s world feed.

“But I told him we are talking to other riders and we want to be really open later in this year to decide which rider will be where.

Miguel Oliveira, Red Bull KTM Factory Racing

Miguel Oliveira, Red Bull KTM Factory Racing

Photo by: Gold and Goose / Motorsport Images

“And there is a chance he can move over to Tech3. That’s all I told him, I told him to be aware of this and I don’t want to use an option to make him stay.

“We want him to stay a KTM guy, but he must be open to be on one of these four spots.

“He was not super happy with this information, but on the other side I got a good response from him saying he wants to be a KTM rider.”

Read Also:
Previous article Quartararo’s Mugello MotoGP pace “opposite” to 2021 race-winning form
Next article Marquez has “to take risks” to improve 2022 Honda MotoGP bike

Top Comments