Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

How GM tech accelerated Cadillac's F1 entry

Formula 1
Canadian GP
How GM tech accelerated Cadillac's F1 entry

MotoGP chief defends officiating of Catalan GP

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP chief defends officiating of Catalan GP

The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

Feature
Formula 1
The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

How Aprilia's Barcelona collapse showed the pressures of leading MotoGP's title race

Feature
MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
How Aprilia's Barcelona collapse showed the pressures of leading MotoGP's title race

Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

National
Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Feature
IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Injured Martin won't recover in time for Americas GP comeback

The world champion’s return to action will now be in Qatar next month at the earliest

Jorge Martin, Aprilia Racing

Reigning MotoGP world champion Jorge Martin has confirmed he will not make his hoped-for return to action at the Americas Grand Prix later this month.

Martin broke his left hand in a training accident in February, forcing him to miss the opening race in Thailand and this weekend’s Argentina GP.

There had been some hope that he would begin his new career with the factory Aprilia team in Texas in two weeks, but Martin confirmed on Thursday that this would not be possible.

“I’m really struggling to recover as quickly as I would like,” he said via a video link to the pre-event press conference in Argentina. “I won’t be racing at Austin.”

Martin was also unwilling to commit to the following round in Qatar, which takes place on 11-13 April.

“I don’t know if I can be in Qatar,” he added. “It’s really early to say that.”

Martin also mentioned requiring some saddle time on the Aprilia RS-GP25 as a consideration before any comeback.

Jorge Martin, Aprilia Racing

Jorge Martin, Aprilia Racing

Photo by: Aprilia Racing

The Spaniard, who has moved from the Pramac Ducati team with which he won the world title in 2024, missed a large chunk of official pre-season testing after fracturing his right hand and left foot on the first day of the Sepang test early last month.

“I would like to do some kind of test before coming back to racing because I’m not feeling all that good,” said Martin.

“I know Massimo [Rivola, Aprilia CEO] is working on that, so let’s see if it’s possible.”

Asked if he had felt encouraged by Aprilia’s display at the opening GP, the highlight of which was a fifth place for class rookie Ai Ogura, Martin replied: “I’m cheering for Aprilia – hopefully they can improve a little more and be close to that podium.”

Martin’s team-mate Marco Bezzecchi added to the Aprilia haul in Thailand by finishing the GP in sixth place. The Noale manufacturer was clearly best of the non-Ducatis in race conditions on the opening weekend.

However, missing at least the first three rounds means Martin’s hopes of an unlikely title defence are effectively gone – no matter how competitive the Aprilia turns out to be.

Previous article What to expect at the MotoGP Argentina GP
Next article Aprilia requests special test for Martin ahead of MotoGP comeback

Top Comments

Latest news