Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Feature
Formula 1
Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Extra days added to Qatar MotoGP test

MotoGP has confirmed two extra days of testing and a shakedown have been added to the schedule in Qatar in March following the cancellation of the Sepang test

Earlier this week, MotoGP announced it had cancelled what was set to be the opening three-day pre-season test of 2021 at the Sepang circuit in Malaysia after a state of emergency was declared in the country due to escalating COVID-19 infections.

At the time, MotoGP confirmed the Qatar test was still going ahead as planned.

A meeting between MotoGP teams, promoter Dorna Sports and governing body the FIM was held on Thursday to discuss various topics relating to the upcoming season.

At this meeting it was agreed to add two more days to the Qatar test in March, with riders granted official running on 6 and 7 March ahead of the three days of running taking place from 10-12 March.

A shakedown for test riders and rookies has been pencilled into the calendar for 5 March.

A statement from MotoGP read: "Following a recent meeting between the championship organisation and the MotoGP class teams, changes to the Qatar test schedule have been agreed.

"Two extra official test days and a shakedown test day will now also be held at Losail International Circuit in March, ahead of and in addition to the previously confirmed Qatar test, allowing the teams extra preparation ahead of the 2021 season.

"On 5 March, a shakedown test will take place in which participation will be limited solely to test riders and MotoGP class rookies.

"On the 6 and 7 March, all riders may participate in two extra official test days."

Autosport reported on Wednesday that Thursday's meeting was also going to feature discussions about potentially moving the date of the opening round of the season in Qatar.

Currently the Qatar Grand Prix is scheduled for 28 March, but could now be staged a week earlier to avoid clashing with Bahrain's Formula 1 GP.

Moving the race forward to 21 March would also make it logistically easier for all paddock personnel to remain in Qatar after the test prior to the race, avoiding a repeat of last year's cancellation owing to travel restrictions.

MotoGP is yet to comment on any potential calendar alterations.

Previous article Suzuki "will be more united than ever" after Brivio MotoGP exit
Next article Rainey: Schwantz doesn't get enough credit for 1993 500cc title

Top Comments

Latest news