Zanardi targets £3million US jackpot
Alex Zanardi looks likely to return to the United States - but for one race only
So far the Italian has endured a disappointing F1 comeback but he could see a change in his fortunes if he is allowed to compete in the Hawaiian Super Prix.
The one-off race, to be held near Honolulu on November 13, will pay out a massive £3 million to the winner, the biggest prize money event in motorsport.
The top 12 drivers in this year's CART Championship are guaranteed places plus four other invitation drivers.
They include Zanardi and Jacques Villeneuve, who are recent winners of the series. However, Zanardi will have to get permission from current boss Frank Williams before he can make the one-off return.
'I would be very interested in doing the race,' said the Italian.
'They have invited Jacques and myself as recent champions, though I don't know who else will be racing. It's up to Frank in the end. Perhaps he will let me race if I let him have some of the money I could win.'
Zanardi hopes to line-up for the Chip Ganassi Racing team with whom he took the title last year, but he could be scuppered by his replacement, Juan Pablo Montoya.
The Colombian is proving to be a worthy successor winning the last three races and leading the championship.
'If I do the race then Ganassi will have priority, but by then they might be so in love with Montoya they will not want me. Then I can look elsewhere,' said Zanardi.
Share Or Save This Story
Subscribe and access Autosport.com with your ad-blocker.
From Formula 1 to MotoGP we report straight from the paddock because we love our sport, just like you. In order to keep delivering our expert journalism, our website uses advertising. Still, we want to give you the opportunity to enjoy an ad-free and tracker-free website and to continue using your adblocker.
Top Comments