Junqueira Targets Early Return
Bruno Junqueira believes he will be fit enough to compete in the final two races of the Champ Car World Series, despite the standard one-year forecast for people suffering from similar vertebrae injuries
Junqueira fractured two vertebrae in a crash in last month's Indy 500, which usually necessitates a one-year recovery period.
However, the Brazilian is targeting a return in time for the Lexmark Indy 300 in Australia in October 23, thanks to advice from the surgeon who operated on him, Dr Terry Trammell.
"I'd still like to try and make the last couple races this season," Junqueria told cart.com. "Terry said normal people take a year to heal from this and he told me six months.
"I did a lot of Pilates and he said my back was very strong because of it and I won't have to wear a brace or anything. I don't want to do rush anything and it will be Terry's decision. But I'm going to work hard to be back as fast as possible.
"I'm not happy to be out of competition because I was leading the championship and I think I had a good shot at the title. But these things happen in our sport and it's the first time I've ever really been hurt. I just hope it will be the last one."
Junqueira is now recuperating at his home in Miami, Florida, and has now seen the accident on television.
"The crew told me it was real bad and I watched the crash on my computer the other day," he added. "I missed the safer wall and hit the hard wall and the telemetry said I was still going over 200 mph when I hit. All I remember is going under AJ Foyt IV."
Share Or Save This Story
Subscribe and access Autosport.com with your ad-blocker.
From Formula 1 to MotoGP we report straight from the paddock because we love our sport, just like you. In order to keep delivering our expert journalism, our website uses advertising. Still, we want to give you the opportunity to enjoy an ad-free and tracker-free website and to continue using your adblocker.
Top Comments