Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Dario rates new Rockingham oval

British Champ Car star Dario Franchitti has given the thumbs-up to the new Rockingham oval circuit which hosts Britain's round of the CART series on September 22, and predicts there will be plenty of overtaking

Franchitti got a sneak preview of what to expect next month when he drove round the circuit in a Honda S2000 sportscar. The Scot, who lies third in the CART standings, said his first impressions were good.

"It looks great," he told Autosport. "It looks like a great facility but it's difficult to say what it is like because I haven't driven around it in anger. I've driven it in the Honda S2000, but until you do it in anger I won't be able to say what it is really like.

"My first impression was that it was smooth, no bumps, it looks like there are plenty of opportunities for overtaking. The last time I had been here was March and it is incredible to see the amount of changes there have been."

The Rockingham event will be the first time Champ Cars have raced in Britain on an oval circuit. Earlier this week, Johnny Herbert lapped the circuit in 198.5mph in a Dale Coyne-run Lola-Ford.

Previous article Frankly Franchitti
Next article Brack out to break road course duck

Top Comments