Guenther: One-lap pace let us down in Diriyah FE

Maximilian Guenther believes he and BMW Andretti were let down by a lack of one-lap pace in Formula E's season-opening races in Riyadh last weekend

Guenther: One-lap pace let us down in Diriyah FE

While Mercedes, Audi and Porsche all raced at the front of the pack in the Diriyah E-Prix double-header, BMW had a subdued weekend in Saudi Arabia, with neither Guenther nor rookie team-mate Jake Dennis scoring a point.

Guenther and Dennis qualified a mediocre ninth and 14th respectively for the first of the two races, but BMW's one-lap pace deficit was highlighted further on Saturday when Guenther could only set the 12th fastest time in qualifying - despite having the advantage of taking part in Group 4 and a reduced field amid the absence of four Mercedes-powered cars and the Porsche of Andre Lotterer.

Guenther said he could be satisfied with the speed BMW showed in long runs, but believes qualifying was an area of weakness for the German manufacturer in Riyadh.

PLUS: How Andretti is planning for life after BMW

"Obviously we are not strong in one-lap pace, this is very clear," Guenther told Autosport. "We need to understand this for the next races.

"Qualifying is always key in any racing series, especially here when you race on street circuits. Obviously that's the most important [thing] and that's what you need to focus on in the championship.

"In terms of race pace I think it's a bit better. Not saying we are the strongest but it's definitely better and more competitive. Both Friday and Saturday we were able to fight for points and that's the situation at the moment."

In the opening race Guenther was running inside the points in sixth when he clipped the barriers at the exit of Turn 2 on cold tyres after a safety car period, retiring immediately from the race.

Another DNF followed on Saturday when battling with the Nissan of Oliver Rowland, as he outbraked himself into Turn 18 and collected the NIO 333 of Tom Blomqvist that had been running just ahead of him.

The German driver will carry a five-place grid penalty at the next round in Rome in April after being found guilty of causing a collision by the race stewards.

Asked to explain the incident from his point of view, Guenther said: "I was running in I think P10, P11, fighting for points.

"I was in standard mode, I had used both my attack modes already. Ollie Rowland behind me was in his attack mode. I tried to cover him in Turn 18, [but I] drove off on the inside, braking in the dust.

"I don't know exactly at the moment what happened, if there was any contact or not [between me and Rowland]. Finally when I touched my brakes I immediately locked the fronts and was a passenger at this point, had contact with the car in front and it was the race for me.

"Obviously disappointing to not score any points but that's racing sometimes you need to accept this and move forward."

shares
comments
Lynn "100% fine" after horror Diriyah FE crash

Previous article

Lynn "100% fine" after horror Diriyah FE crash

Next article

Saudi Arabia ready to "give to the motorsport world" after FE success

Saudi Arabia ready to "give to the motorsport world" after FE success
Load comments

About this article

Series Formula E
Author Rachit Thukral
How Vergne and Vandoorne found redemption in Rome Plus

How Vergne and Vandoorne found redemption in Rome

Another Formula E double-header, another double dose of frantic action. While the form guide remains unpredictable following fightback wins for Jean-Eric Vergne and Stoffel Vandoorne in Rome, the speed and consistency of Mercedes – both on and off the track – could have its rivals worried for what is to follow

Formula E
Apr 12, 2021
What Nissan's commitment to Gen3 reveals about Formula E's future Plus

What Nissan's commitment to Gen3 reveals about Formula E's future

Formula E's Gen3 era grid continues to take shape, after Nissan opted to commit to the series for another four years. Nissan's global chief operating officer explains why it has thrown its lot in with FE while other high-profile marques have decided to call it quits

Formula E
Mar 24, 2021
Why the new Formula E season got off to such a controversial start Plus

Why the new Formula E season got off to such a controversial start

With the new Formula E season belatedly getting underway in Saudi Arabia, the championship appeared to try to make up for lost time with an overspill of action and controversy on and off the track. While some talking points could have serious repercussions, it was an explosive opener for many reasons

Formula E
Mar 1, 2021
How Andretti is planning for life after BMW Plus

How Andretti is planning for life after BMW

Michael Andretti's team is a Formula E ever-present and that's not about to change despite BMW's forthcoming exit. But, with both its drivers contracted to the German giant and McLaren weighing up a possible entry, some key decisions lie ahead

Formula E
Feb 26, 2021
The eight major plotlines to watch in Formula E 2021 Plus

The eight major plotlines to watch in Formula E 2021

The delayed 2020-21 Formula E season gets underway this week with a double-header in Saudi Arabia. The testing times were too close to call a favourite, but that's not the only area of interest to follow as the championship enters a crucial year

Formula E
Feb 25, 2021
Why Formula E's 2021 season will be a crucial litmus test Plus

Why Formula E's 2021 season will be a crucial litmus test

As off-track politics threatens to overshadow events on it, the upcoming Formula E season is perhaps its most important since the championship's inception. And that's a shame, given that the focus should be on what promises to be its closest title fight yet

Formula E
Feb 24, 2021
How Mercedes and Porsche can avoid a difficult second FE album Plus

How Mercedes and Porsche can avoid a difficult second FE album

DS Techeetah remains FE's benchmark outfit, but it can expect a stiff challenge this year from two German automotive giants in their second seasons as full manufacturer entries. Here's how Mercedes and Porsche are doubling down to bridge the gap

Formula E
Feb 17, 2021
The magnificent seven Brits fighting for FE bragging rights Plus

The magnificent seven Brits fighting for FE bragging rights

A record seven British drivers will contest Formula E this season, including two squads with all-British lineups. But before they can consider challenging DS Techeetah for the crown, each must lead their teams' recovery to the top

Formula E
Feb 15, 2021