Adelaide Supercars cancellation could pave way for FE race

The cancellation of the Adelaide 500 Australian Supercars race could pave the way for a Formula E event to be held on the city's street circuit, Autosport understands

Adelaide Supercars cancellation could pave way for FE race

Earlier this week, the South Australian Tourism Commission announced its decision to pull the famous race from next season's Supercars calendar, despite holding a contract with the championship until 2021.

Declining fan attendance prior to the pandemic in addition to the impact posed by COVID-19, which meant an "inability to recoup costs", were cited as the reasons behind the axing of the race.

But Autosport understands that Adelaide's absence from the Supercars calendar could lead to FE hosting its first event in Australia, which will use elements of the former Australian Grand Prix street circuit venue.

Alberto Longo, FE co-founder and chief championship officer, told Autosport: "Australia is a market that is showing considerable interest in e-mobility, with [electric vehicle] sales tripling in the last year alone.

"We are in discussion with multiple cities around the world and across Australasia to host future events - including Adelaide which has great motorsport heritage and a tech hub for the future - but our priority remains the safe and successful running of the upcoming season."

Last month, the Adelaide Advertiser reported that Business SA had made a submission to the state government to host FE in a bid to drive economic recovery and showcase the state on a global level.

An FE race could also form part of a Festival of E-motion to highlight the region's leading renewable energy technology and automotive manufacturing history.

Business SA chief executive Martin Haese, the former lord mayor of Adelaide, said: "Forget the Formula 1, Formula E is the future.

"It's motorsport, technology, renewable energy and an exciting street party all rolled into one and South Australia is the only state in the country that ticks all the boxes."

It is thought that significant private sector interest backs the FE proposal.

Former independent SA senator Tim Storer also said that an Australian FE round was "one of the agreed recommendations from my Senate Inquiry into EVs released [in January] 2019.

"The report had consensus across government, opposition, Greens and independent senators. Let's make it happen, Adelaide!"

Following the announcement that the Adelaide 500 would be cancelled, SA Tourism Commission chief executive Rodney Harrex said: "South Australia is one of the premiere event locations in the nation and globe, and we will continue to invest in a range of sporting, cultural and arts events to stimulate the visitor economy.

"Due to the high level of uncertainty around the ability of the event to proceed in 2021, the likely impact on the event for both the consumer and commercial market, and the long-term decline in the core motorsport fan, a decision has been made that it will not be possible to hold the race next year, and to not seek a contract for future years."

shares
comments
Why the latest Hamilton-Rosberg battle won’t have the same edge
Previous article

Why the latest Hamilton-Rosberg battle won’t have the same edge

Next article

Formula E becomes minority shareholder in Extreme E

Formula E becomes minority shareholder in Extreme E
Load comments
How Formula E's polarising newcomer can prove himself Plus

How Formula E's polarising newcomer can prove himself

OPINION: Few figures in racing today divide opinion like Dan Ticktum. The Formula 2 race-winner now has the chance to wipe his professional slate clean with his move into Formula E, but it won't be easy at the squad which has brought up the rear for the past three years. Here are the three key criteria he must meet to make a lasting impression on the series

Formula E
Nov 27, 2021
How Mercedes pulled off a silent coup in Formula E Plus

How Mercedes pulled off a silent coup in Formula E

By virtue of its Formula 1 success, Mercedes was expected to rise to power in Formula E before long. That it won both the drivers' and manufacturers' championships this year, after only two seasons as a full works effort, belies a tricky path littered with potential pitfalls

Formula E
Nov 26, 2021
Why electric racing cars should be four-wheel drive Plus

Why electric racing cars should be four-wheel drive

OPINION: Circuit racing has traditionally favoured front- or rear-wheel-drive setups, eschewing the equal distribution of power. But for Formula E and other electric-powered series, our columnist believes it’s a perfect fit

Formula E
Oct 13, 2021
How motorsport's most prominent power couple found joint success Plus

How motorsport's most prominent power couple found joint success

The Wolffs have carved their own paths in motorsport, leading their respective teams to success in Formula 1 and Formula E. But the two came together last month as their drivers finished first and second in the FE drivers' championship - a feat they are hugely proud of. In a rare joint interview, they reflect on a remarkable season

Formula E
Sep 21, 2021
The top 10 Formula E drivers of 2020-21 Plus

The top 10 Formula E drivers of 2020-21

OPINION: The 2021 Formula E campaign was one without a narrative for much of the season, with no single car or driver able to break away from the pack. That makes choosing a top 10 especially difficult, particularly as the qualifying format meant some worthy performers were unable to enjoy their day in the sun

Formula E
Sep 19, 2021
How Mercedes and De Vries achieved Formula E glory the hard way Plus

How Mercedes and De Vries achieved Formula E glory the hard way

When Nyck de Vries dominated the first race of what would be the most controversial and unpredictable Formula E season to date, it looked as though Mercedes was in for a cakewalk. But as the campaign wore on, the path to a title double became increasingly rocky. Neither driver or team would be assured of the crown until the closing stages of the very final race on a weekend of struggle in Berlin

Formula E
Sep 17, 2021
The Formula E 'loan' deal that will keep its original missionary winning Plus

The Formula E 'loan' deal that will keep its original missionary winning

OPINION: The departure of Audi from Formula E meant its long-time driver Lucas di Grassi would need to find a new berth to stay on the grid. His deal at Venturi Racing will ensure the championship's first-ever race winner will remain competitive into the final year of the current Gen2 ruleset - although it may not be a long-term fit

Formula E
Sep 15, 2021
The problems laid bare by Mercedes' impending Formula E departure Plus

The problems laid bare by Mercedes' impending Formula E departure

Mercedes' planned withdrawal from Formula E at the end of the 2022 season will contribute to the big hole left by fellow automotive manufacturers Audi and BMW on their departures. Although the team may stick around under a different guise, the exit of the now-reigning teams' champion underlines FE's current issues...

Formula E
Aug 18, 2021