Subscribe

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Wurz: No Problems with MP4-20

Alexander Wurz's chances of landing the second race seat at McLaren for the San Marino Grand Prix if Juan Pablo Montoya is not fit to return have been boosted, after the Austrian reported no problems fitting in the new MP4-20 during testing this week

Wurz had to sit back and watch fellow test driver Pedro de la Rosa get the race drive in Bahrain, because height issues meant he had been unable to get any running in the team's 2005 challenger prior to the event. The Austrian had to take the Friday test role and he duly set the quickest time.

But after a full day of testing in the MP4-20 at Barcelona in Spain this week, Wurz has told Autosport-Atlas that he is happy that he is comfortable in the car - and his focus is now purely on making it quicker.

"This is the first time that I have got to work with the car and really play with the set-up," said Wurz. "There was no pain in the cockpit but we did some work on my comfort in the car and I am happy.

"It is a good car. I know we need to optimise it further to get the best out of it, but I think we have discovered one new direction which can open doors to new ideas. The car is very responsive."

It is understood that McLaren are readying Wurz to race at Imola if Montoya does not return, even though de la Rosa grabbed the headlines with a spectacular drive to fifth. Wurz is the team's official reserve driver and the team have hinted that his chances of getting the race drive depend almost entirely on him getting comfortable in the car.

Wurz has made it clear, however, that he has yet to be officially informed of the team's plans and that the schedule for Imola will not affect his testing programme this week.

"I am doing this work regardless of whether I will drive in Imola," he explained. "I have not been told anything officially by the team yet."

Be part of Autosport community

Join the conversation
Previous article Sato to Get New Chassis
Next article Villeneuve Plays Down Sauber Decision

Top Comments

There are no comments at the moment. Would you like to write one?

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe