Toyota has reiterated its vow to defy protests and work straight through the two month testing ban at the end of this year's Formula 1 season
McLaren boss Ron Dennis had led a chorus of calls for the Japanese giant to follow the same rules as the rest of the grid and heed the eight-week embargo that starts after the last race and runs through November and December.
But as teams assembled for the German Grand Prix today (Thursday), Toyota's motorsport boss Ove Andersson insisted it would test as usual through this period as it prepared for its F1 debut next March.
"People are saying we will gain an unfair advantage over the other teams if we test for the two months at the end of the season," said Andersson. "But I do not agree with that at all because we are a new team. So far, we have not participated in any race whatsoever whereas other teams have been racing for years and years.
"By the end of this season, they will have done 17 races and we will not have done any at all. We have just been doing some testing, so I can't see any unfair view on this."
Andersson said he had cleared his stance on the subject with the sport's governing body, the FIA.
"The rules only apply to teams contesting the championship and we aren't doing that yet," he said. "I consulted the FIA about this matter in November last year and I got it confirmed that according to the sporting regulations, paragraph 65, we can test until the end of this year. After that, we have to follow the rules for the participating teams."
For the second race in a row, Mercedes has ended the first day of track action on top. It’s in a commanding position at the Russian Grand Prix once again – this time largely thanks to Max Verstappen’s upcoming engine-change grid penalty. But there’s plenty to suggest all hope is not lost for the championship leader at Sochi
OPINION: With its days apparently numbered, the MGU-H looks set to be dropped from Formula 1’s future engine rules in order to entice new manufacturers in. While it may appear a change of direction, the benefits for teams and fans could make the decision a worthwhile call
Team Lotus ceased to exist in 1994 - and yet various parties have been trying to resurrect the hallowed name, in increasingly unrecognisable forms, ever since. DAMIEN SMITH brings GP Racing’s history of the legendary team to an end with a look at those who sought to keep the flame alive in Formula 1
OPINION: Formula 1 reconvenes for the Russian Grand Prix two weeks after the latest blow in ‘Max Verstappen vs Lewis Hamilton’. While the Silverstone and Monza incidents were controversial, they thankfully lacked one element that so far separates the 2021 title fight from the worst examples of ugly championship battles
Mika Hakkinen became Michael Schumacher’s biggest rival in Formula 1 in the late-90s and early 2000s, having also made his F1 debut in 1991. But as MARK GALLAGHER recalls, while Schumacher wowed the world with a car that was eminently capable, Hakkinen was fighting to make his mark with a famous team in terminal decline
Before Michael Schumacher – or anyone else – had driven the 191 (or 911 as it was initially called), Eddie Jordan turned to a fellow Irishman to test his new Formula 1 car. JOHN WATSON, a grand prix winner for Penske and McLaren, recalls his role in the birth of a legend…
OPINION: The headlines were dominated by the Italian Grand Prix crash between Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton, who had the halo to thank for avoiding potentially serious injury. But two days earlier, Formula 1 had a lucky escape with a Monza pitlane incident that could also have had grave consequences