Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Gasly makes surprise SQ1 exit as Alonso crash red-flags session

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Gasly makes surprise SQ1 exit as Alonso crash red-flags session

Red Bull F1 team boss: "No intention behind" public meeting between Verstappen and Wolff

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull F1 team boss: "No intention behind" public meeting between Verstappen and Wolff

F1 compromise to make 2027 engine change could include shortening races

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 compromise to make 2027 engine change could include shortening races

Mercedes and McLaren debut host of updates at F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Mercedes and McLaren debut host of updates at F1 Canadian GP

F1 Canadian GP: Antonelli fastest ahead of sprint qualifying, Russell spins

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Antonelli fastest ahead of sprint qualifying, Russell spins

What Kyle Busch meant to NASCAR and the modern fan

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
What Kyle Busch meant to NASCAR and the modern fan

Haas warns against raising F1 cost cap to fix 2027 power unit issues

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Haas warns against raising F1 cost cap to fix 2027 power unit issues

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Practice extended after two red flags

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Practice extended after two red flags

Too early to talk of criminal charges, say police...

Police investigating the death of a marshal in Sunday's Australian Grand Prix say it is still too early to determine whether criminal charges will be brought

Graham Beveridge, a 52-year-old spectator marshal, died from chest injuries when he was struck by a wheel from Jacques Villeneuve's BAR. Villeneuve had been launched into the barriers at the Albert Park circuit's fifth turn after running into the back of Ralf Schumacher's Williams.

Senior Sergeant Michael Talbot of the Victoria Police said: "We have already spoken to the drivers [on Sunday] and we know their version of events.

"If the coroner holds an open inquest, he may require them to give evidence. We're treating it in the same way as a motor car collision with a death involved. But it's too early to say if there could be criminal charges laid."

Both cars involved in the accident were impounded on Sunday evening, but investigations are expected to centre on the BAR. The wheel which struck the marshal was ripped off the car when it hit a post supporting the debris fence.

Formula 1 cars have two tethers per wheel which are designed to restrain a wheel in the event of an accident. The tethers must be rated to a breaking strain of 5000kg, but technical experts say this is easily exceeded in a high-speed accident. Estimates put the speed of Villeneuve's impact with the wall at around 150mph.

"At this stage we are releasing the Williams car and we're holding the BAR under the direction of the coroner," said Talbot. "The coroner has directed us at this stage to hold it for a maximum time of six months, but it may be released earlier under his recommendation.

"After that time he will review the situation and decide what's to happen with it - whether to keep it or release it, at which time it will go back to the team."


Previous article Ross Brawn Q&A
Next article Marshal's Colleague Defends Albert Park Safety

Top Comments