Paul Stewart has stepped down from his position as chief operation officer of the Jaguar Racing Team after being diagnosed as having cancer of the colon
According to a press release issued on behalf of Jaguar Racing, Stewart's cancer is treatable and he is undergoing chemotherapy at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota.
His father Jackie Stewart said: "Paul's recovery is the single most important thing in the life of the Stewart family.
"He is in the best possible hands at the Mayo Clinic.
"His mother and I, as well as his brother Mark, and Paul's wife Victoria, have complete confidence in his professors and doctors and they are optimistic that Paul will, through treatment, be able to overcome this illness and continue to live life to the full."
He is expected to retain his position as an executive director of the British team and will review the situation with Jaguar Racing's parent, the Ford motor company, when his treatment is completed.
President and chief executive officer of Ford, Jac Nasser said: "I was very upset to hear of Paul's illness but I am reassured that he is receiving the best possible treatment and care.
"All of us at the Ford motor company extend our best wishes and look forward to him making a full recovery. He has and will continue to make a great contribution to Jaguar Racing."
Chairman of Jaguar Racing, Neil Ressler, said: "Paul is a very important part of the management of Jaguar Racing but we understand his involvement must reduce while he concentrates on recovering from his illness and we will now restructure our team accordingly.
"We are heartened by the fact that Paul will continue to be on the board. We wish him a successful recovery."
OPINION: Formula 1's sprint race trial at Silverstone drew mixed feedback on Saturday, but there remained the true test of how it would impact Sunday's Grand Prix. While fans were busy marvelling at Fernando Alonso's progress, a key lesson was being learned that would directly contribute to the dramatic lap one clash at Copse the following day
OPINION: Formula 1’s 2021 title fight turned ugly last weekend when Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton collided at the start of the British Grand Prix. Verstappen thankfully walked away unharmed, but this had been a clash long-since coming
Formula 1 provided its clearest example yet of what the 2022 cars are set to look like when it presented a full-scale concept to the world during the build-up to last weekend’s British Grand Prix. Underneath the special shiny livery was a design that hinted at the future, but teams will be digging into key areas that may reap differing results
The 2021 British Grand Prix will live long in the memory for the dramatic clash between Formula 1's two title protagonists, which opened the door for other drivers to capitalise. One did so in spectacular fashion, while others fluffed their lines
A poor start for Valtteri Bottas and the lap one clash between Formula 1's 2021 title protagonists gave Charles Leclerc a surprise lead in the British Grand Prix that he almost held to the end. Here's how the Ferrari driver came close to a famous victory, ultimately denied by a recovering Lewis Hamilton three laps from home
Red Bull and Max Verstappen scored an early blow against Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes at Silverstone, with sprint qualifying race victory. But that doesn’t mean Sunday’s grand prix is a foregone conclusion. Although Verstappen starts as the favourite, here’s why Mercedes still holds hope of winning