Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Ferrari is down on power "even to Ford", says Leclerc

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Ferrari is down on power "even to Ford", says Leclerc

Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

Super Formula
Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

How McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Feature
Formula 1
How McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Alonso: “I am the best, I don't need to prove anything”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Alonso: “I am the best, I don't need to prove anything”

Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Silverstone unveils new 'wing' complex

Silverstone bosses on Tuesday unveiled the circuit's new 'wing' complex that leading figures believe helps secure the venue's long-term future.

Silverstone bosses on Tuesday unveiled the circuit's new 'wing' complex that leading figures believe helps secure the venue's long-term future.

The new pit and paddock complex comprises a 16,500 square-metre building, which is 30 per cent larger than its predecessor, and that is part of the new start-line area at the British track.

The 'wing' facility, which is still unfinished, cost £27 million and the official opening event was attended by several motorsport figures.

BRDC president Damon Hill believes the new complex puts Silverstone at the forefront of the world and secures the future of the Formula 1 grand prix there.

"It is very important for everyone we managed to do this," said Hill. "There was a threat of the grand prix going somewhere else. Other places were putting up palaces, but now we have kept Silverstone at the forefront of the world."

Former world champion Nigel Mansell praised the work of the BRDC to build the facility.

"Silverstone for me is the best circuit in the world by miles. The crowd gets behind any British driver, and it is truly fantastic racing here.

"What the BRDC and board has done, they have done a fantastic job. Congratulations everyone at the BRDC."

Former grand prix driver Martin Brundle added: "I'm so excited by this. This is the result of a lot of effort from BRDC and BRDC board. The place looks great, it is a landmark building. It is the centre of the universe for motor racing."

Multiple MotoGP champion Valentino Rossi also attended the event and was hoping to jump onto the track today after missing last year's event.

"I'm very excited," said the Italian. "Last year I was at home injured, so I came here to see the track to make some laps.It is a great track, very technical and fast. It is always great to come to track where there have been great battles."

Mercedes GP team boss Ross Brawn added: "I think the history of Silverstone cannot be manufactured - there are iconic things in F1 like Ferrari and Silverstone that cannot be manufactured. We had to preserve that, so the BRDC doing that is a great achievement."

Previous article More durable tyres confirmed for Spain
Next article Sutil vows to 'clear his name'

Top Comments