Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

National
Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Feature
IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

The mental challenge Evans takes on at Rally Japan

WRC
Rally Japan
The mental challenge Evans takes on at Rally Japan

Why the Catalan GP chaos may finally force MotoGP riders to unite

Feature
MotoGP
Catalan GP
Why the Catalan GP chaos may finally force MotoGP riders to unite

Why Ford 'loves the V8 idea' in F1 amid changing road car strategy

Formula 1
Why Ford 'loves the V8 idea' in F1 amid changing road car strategy

What we learned from MotoGP's wretched Catalan GP

Feature
MotoGP
What we learned from MotoGP's wretched Catalan GP

Sakhir circuit chief says Bahrain Grand Prix would help nation recover

Bahrain's circuit boss thinks it vital that the Gulf state's Formula 1 race goes ahead, because he believes the nation as a whole will benefit

Despite an increasingly tense political situation in the country, Bahrain International Circuit chairman Zayed Al Alzayani is adamant that holding the grand prix would actually be a help to the population in its move for reform.

"It is very sad what has happened; but we cannot go back and change history, we have to learn from it and move on," he told BBC Radio 4. "I think the grand prix is required for Bahrain because we need to get started back on track. The country has suffered, the economy has suffered."

Alzayani has also hit back at claims that the Bahrain GP is being used as a political tool by the government to show that the state has returned to normality.

"I don't think so, I disagree," he said. "The race is not taking place for the authorities, the race is taking place because Bahrain has been the home of motorsport in the Middle East. We have hosted seven previous grands prix and a majority of the attendance is not the authorities or the royal family, it is fans of F1 and motorsport in general.

"We have a regional event, so quite a few spectators come from neighbouring countries, and it would not be right to deprive them of this event."

He added: "I don't know why we are being dragged into the politics of the event. We are a social event, we are a sports event and we would like it to stay that way."

Motor racing's governing body, the FIA, said on Friday that it was monitoring events closely, but had been assured by the Bahrain authorities that there were no safety concerns.

"The FIA is constantly monitoring and evaluating the situation in the Kingdom of Bahrain," an FIA spokesman was quoted as saying by Reuters.

"We are in daily touch with the highest authorities, the main European embassies and of course the local promoters at BIC (Bahrain International Circuit) as well as the international promoter.

"The FIA is the guarantor of the safety at the race event and relies, as it does in every other country, on the local authorities to guarantee security. In this respect we have been repeatedly assured by the highest authorities in Bahrain that all security matters are under control."

Previous article Damon Hill says Formula 1 cannot afford to be 'indifferent' about Bahrain situation
Next article China preview quotes: HRT

Top Comments