Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Top 10 F1 drivers of the 1960s

Feature
Formula 1
Top 10 F1 drivers of the 1960s

How GM tech accelerated Cadillac's F1 entry

Formula 1
Canadian GP
How GM tech accelerated Cadillac's F1 entry

MotoGP chief defends officiating of Catalan GP

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP chief defends officiating of Catalan GP

The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

Feature
Formula 1
The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

How Aprilia's Barcelona collapse showed the pressures of leading MotoGP's title race

Feature
MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
How Aprilia's Barcelona collapse showed the pressures of leading MotoGP's title race

Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

National
Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Feature
IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Richards Holds Crisis Meeting at BAR Factory

BAR team principal David Richards has promised to challenge Jenson Button's move to Williams before gathering his team for a crisis meeting at their Brackley headquarters today.

BAR team principal David Richards has promised to challenge Jenson Button's move to Williams before gathering his team for a crisis meeting at their Brackley headquarters today.

Richards was shaken by the news late on Thursday that the in-form British driver, who he rescued from a difficult period at Benetton/Renault and nurtured into a potential winner, has decided to defect next season.

The BAR-Honda team failed to contact Button last night and Richards, who will make a further statement later on Friday, told The Times: "To be treated like this is dumbfounding and I cannot believe that Jenson wants to leave.

"I have got 400 people in this factory who have worked their socks off night and day and then the guy who gets all the credit and drinks the champagne turns around and ditches them."

BAR had a long-term option on Button and had been expected to take it up but rival team chief Sir Frank Williams was offered the driver on a two-year deal and suggested "they probably didn't execute it (the option) properly."

Button has been impressive this season and is targeting second place in the drivers' Championship after closing the gap on Ferrari's Rubens Barrichello in the German Grand Prix two weeks ago.

Williams gave Button his F1 debut in 2000 before ditching him for Colombian Juan Pablo Montoya but it is understood the British driver has decided to return because he is not confident about the future of his current team.

Richards told BBC Radio this morning: "About 36 hours ago we had a letter suggesting that on a very slim technicality the option (on Button) wasn't viable based upon Honda's commitment to us.

"Obviously, this is something that is quite ridiculous and we will challenge it. You can't go through life taking advantage of legal technicalities - you have to look at the essence of an agreement."

At the last Grand Prix at Hockenheim in Germany, Honda announced the continuation of their partnership with BAR until the end of 2007 and promised to become more involved in chassis development as well as engines.

However, they said there is a get-out clause in their deal which will allow Honda to leave the sport if proposed new rule changes remove its technical challenge. But despite this clause, Richards insisted the Japanese company are fully committed.

The move is a massive blow to BAR, who had manoeuvred Button into a position as their effective figurehead and expected him to lead them to the World Championship in the next two years.

A BAR team spokesman said: "The first priority was to gather the team together and discuss the situation, and it was a long meeting. This has suddenly become a very busy period for us."

Previous article Williams ditches the nose
Next article Statement from BAR Regarding Button Dispute

Top Comments