Renault: We shouldn't be singled out over Ocon's F1 seat struggles

Renault insists it should not be singled out for blame over why Esteban Ocon has been left struggling to find a Formula 1 seat

Renault: We shouldn't be singled out over Ocon's F1 seat struggles

Ocon is facing a year on the sidelines after a planned switch to Renault fell through at the last minute when the manufacturer opted to take Daniel Ricciardo instead.

It has since emerged that Mercedes, which manages Ocon's career, let other options fall away because it had a handshake agreement with Renault that a deal would be done.

How a handshake sealed Ocon's fate

Renault F1 managing director Cyril Abiteboul believes it is unfair that Renault be singled out for leaving Ocon high and dry.

"Esteban is currently in the middle of a situation of a very adverse set of circumstances, and I think Renault is only a small factor in all of that," said Abiteboul in an exclusive interview with Autosport.

"We are a factor, but I think we are only a small factor. And I think we should not exaggerate the fact that, again, that we are just a small factor.

"We should not forget the Mercedes decision on its driver line-up. We should not forget the Force India situation and the role that Mercedes has clearly played in the Force India situation."

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff revealed last week that Renault had urged Mercedes not to pursue an opportunity Ocon had with McLaren so it could finalise its own deal.

It was that action, allied to the handshake, that left Wolff disappointed with how things had turned out.

"A ready contract and a handshake commitment was given to ensure that he [Ocon] would not go to the other team, and based on that handshake commitment the decision was taken," said Wolff.

"But eventually the 'agreement' that was made didn't happen.

"If among serious teams and corporations you agree on things, you like to trust that these things will stick."

Asked about the handshake with Mercedes, Abiteboul said: "I don't want to add a story to a story because then it keeps on going and going.

"I can see that Toto, maybe for the first time in Formula 1, is struggling with something, with the situation.

"I have never denied the fact that we have had lots of interest for Esteban and that we will continue in the future to have lots of interest for Esteban.

"What I can say is that no contract was obviously signed. Otherwise it would have been challenged by Toto.

"But for the rest let's, again, not exaggerate Renault's responsibility in the Esteban situation."

shares
comments
FIA formalises court date for Haas's F1 Italian GP exclusion appeal

Previous article

FIA formalises court date for Haas's F1 Italian GP exclusion appeal

Next article

The F1 drivers who risk disaster to achieve the impossible

The F1 drivers who risk disaster to achieve the impossible
Load comments

About this article

Series Formula 1
Drivers Esteban Ocon
Teams Renault F1 Team
Author Oleg Karpov
Why Russell was right to be wrong about Bottas after Imola F1 clash Plus

Why Russell was right to be wrong about Bottas after Imola F1 clash

George Russell and Valtteri Bottas' collision at Imola on Sunday prompted fury in the Formula 1 paddock. But Russell's carefully-worded heartfelt statement later, acknowledging that his initial response was wrong, proved the right move

Formula 1
Apr 22, 2021
How Verstappen and Hamilton’s Imola clash sets the tone for F1’s 2021 title fight Plus

How Verstappen and Hamilton’s Imola clash sets the tone for F1’s 2021 title fight

In Max Verstappen's Formula 1 career to date, he has been cast as the 'pretender', an acknowledged top-line performer without the car to regularly challenge Lewis Hamilton. But that no longer applies in 2021, and the start to the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix was the most telling signal yet of what we can expect from their duel this year

Formula 1
Apr 21, 2021
How “overwhelming” McLaren move has given Ricciardo a new verve Plus

How “overwhelming” McLaren move has given Ricciardo a new verve

Daniel Ricciardo has found a new lease of life at McLaren – a move that’s been years in the making, as he explains to STUART CODLING…

Formula 1
Apr 20, 2021
The German legend who raced and beat Nuvolari Plus

The German legend who raced and beat Nuvolari

Ninety years ago, Rudolf Caracciola became the first non-Italian to win the epic Mille Miglia. We look at how he stacks up to the most famous pre-war ace Tazio Nuvolari, one of the drivers he beat on that day in 1931

Formula 1
Apr 20, 2021
How 2021's midfielders have taken lessons from F1's top teams Plus

How 2021's midfielders have taken lessons from F1's top teams

Formula 1’s latest Imola adventure turned into an expensive trip for many teams due to several crashes throughout the weekend. While balancing the books is an added factor in 2021 with the cost cap, a few midfield teams have cashed in early on development investments

Formula 1
Apr 19, 2021
Emilia Romagna Grand Prix Driver Ratings Plus

Emilia Romagna Grand Prix Driver Ratings

A frantic wet race at Imola produced plenty of excitement and drama as drivers scrabbled for grip. Amid the hatful of mistakes and incidents that ensued, who kept their noses cleanest?

Formula 1
Apr 19, 2021
How the Emilia Romagna GP result hinged on three crucial saves Plus

How the Emilia Romagna GP result hinged on three crucial saves

Rain before the start of the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix promised to spice up the action, and the race certainly delivered on that. Max Verstappen got the best launch to win from Lewis Hamilton, but both got away with mistakes that could have had serious consequences

Formula 1
Apr 19, 2021
The back-bedroom world-beater that began a new F1 era Plus

The back-bedroom world-beater that began a new F1 era

The first in a line of world beaters was designed in a back bedroom and then constructed in a shed. STUART CODLING recalls the Tyrrell 001

Formula 1
Apr 18, 2021