Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

What an engineer with four decades of F1 experience would choose as the ideal engine rules

Feature
Formula 1
What an engineer with four decades of F1 experience would choose as the ideal engine rules

Did Formula E's London finale go too far with team orders and personal vendettas?

Formula E
London ePrix II
Did Formula E's London finale go too far with team orders and personal vendettas?

Tsuboi demands Super Formula engine overhaul as Toyota 'can't compete with Honda'

Super Formula
Tsuboi demands Super Formula engine overhaul as Toyota 'can't compete with Honda'

FIA: F1's Macarena wings to stay, but Red Bull had to do "more work"

Formula 1
Dutch GP
FIA: F1's Macarena wings to stay, but Red Bull had to do "more work"

Optimum weekend for McLaren British GT squad at Snetterton

National
Optimum weekend for McLaren British GT squad at Snetterton

DS Automobiles' outstanding track record in Formula E

Formula E
London ePrix II
DS Automobiles' outstanding track record in Formula E

How much performance has each F1 team gained over 2026?

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
How much performance has each F1 team gained over 2026?

BTCC race winner Lloyd replaces Dorlin at Restart Racing

BTCC
Donington Park (Grand Prix Circuit)
BTCC race winner Lloyd replaces Dorlin at Restart Racing

Renault: Racing Point protest is about defining F1's future team model

Renault's protest against Racing Point's RP20 car will be crucial in defining what team model Formula 1 wants to allow in the future, according to its executive director Marcin Budkowski

Renault lodged a formal protest against Racing Point following last Sunday's Styrian Grand Prix over similarities between its car and the 2019 title-winning Mercedes W10.

Racing Point has been open in admitting it based the design of its car off last year's Mercedes, but has always stressed it did so while remaining within the regulations.

While the protest has focused on the brake ducts of the Racing Point car, Renault's Budkowski said the ruling would be crucial in outlining just how much collaboration would be permitted between teams in the future.

"For us, it's important to clarify what is permissible and what isn't for this season, for the event we protested, for the rest of the season, for next season, but also what Formula 1 we want in the future," Budkowski said.

"What is the model we want? Do we want a model where we have 10 teams independently fighting each other, especially in the context of a fairer sport, a more equal distribution of funds, a cost cap, so all teams eventually come to a similar level of spending - maybe not straightaway but with time.

"There's a great opportunity, together with the '22 regulations, the technical regulations with the car being able to follow each other, overtake each other, [creating] better racing.

"There's a great opportunity for the sport to have 10 teams fighting on equal terms, and for us it's important to clarify what level of exchanges are permissible.

"Is it permissible to get parts or get geometries from another team and use them on your car or not? Because we don't think that's the right model for F1 in the future.

"It's really beyond the protest, beyond this race. It's what kind of model we want for the future of F1."

Budkowski's view is shared by McLaren team boss Andreas Seidl, who said earlier on Friday that F1 risked becoming a "copying championship" were Racing Point's model to be pushed to the extreme.

Budkowski added that he was "fully confident in what the FIA is doing" with their investigation, with a resolution expected ahead of the British Grand Prix at the start of August.

Racing Point team principal Otmar Szafnauer expressed his complete confidence in the FIA's process, and was confident the ruling would not leave any uncertainty over what is or is not permissible.

"I think the process is bulletproof. We'll provide all the evidence that was asked of us," Szafnauer said.

"I think the outcome will be bulletproof, which is quite nice, because there are things the camera can't see, especially the internal surfaces of a brake duct for example that we completely designed and developed ourselves.

"When you compare the two parts by the FIA, then they'll absolutely know that the brake ducts are unique, and our IP and designed by us."

Previous article Ferrari: Some F1 rivals 'not happy' with Concorde Agreement terms
Next article F1 Hungarian GP: Ferrari's Vettel quickest from Bottas in wet FP2

Top Comments

Latest news