Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

F1 Canadian GP: Russell defeats Antonelli to Canada F1 sprint pole

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell defeats Antonelli to Canada F1 sprint pole

Red Bull F1 team boss: "No intention behind" public meeting between Verstappen and Wolff

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull F1 team boss: "No intention behind" public meeting between Verstappen and Wolff

F1 compromise to make 2027 engine change could include shortening races

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 compromise to make 2027 engine change could include shortening races

Mercedes and McLaren debut host of updates at F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Mercedes and McLaren debut host of updates at F1 Canadian GP

F1 Canadian GP: Antonelli fastest ahead of sprint qualifying, Russell spins

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Antonelli fastest ahead of sprint qualifying, Russell spins

What Kyle Busch meant to NASCAR and the modern fan

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
What Kyle Busch meant to NASCAR and the modern fan

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Practice extended after two red flags

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Practice extended after two red flags

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell takes sprint pole ahead of Antonelli

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell takes sprint pole ahead of Antonelli

Red Bull Boss Confirms Jaguar Buyout

Austrian energy drink firm Red Bull has taken over the Jaguar Formula One team from Ford, Red Bull's owner told a newspaper on Sunday.

Austrian energy drink firm Red Bull has taken over the Jaguar Formula One team from Ford, Red Bull's owner told a newspaper on Sunday.

"It is true, we bought Jaguar Racing at the weekend," Red Bull's billionaire owner Dietrich Mateschitz was quoted as saying by Austria's Salzburger Nachrichten on its website.

Mateschitz's comments confirmed media reports that a deal had been reached just before Monday evening's deadline for entries to the 2005 Championship. He did not, however, say how much Red Bull had paid.

Ford have reportedly spent about $2 million a week keeping the team afloat since the end of the season that finished last month.

The takeover should secure the future of the 300-strong Milton Keynes-based team and end talk of other Formula One teams having to run three cars next year to make up the numbers on an otherwise depleted grid.

Mateschitz said he could not provide job guarantees but added that he had no plans to change the team's leadership in the short term, the newspaper said.

Asked whether the team would sign Austrian driver Christian Klien, who made his F1 debut at Jaguar last season and was sponsored by Red Bull, Mateschitz said he would be considered.

"Like other drivers, he will come to testing as of late November," Mateschitz said. "But it is true that a second season for Christian after his debut would make sense."

The team will use a Cosworth engine this season because there is too little time to make changes to the car's design, the newspaper said. "But I can imagine a change in 2006," Mateschitz added.

Red Bull will end its sponsorship of the Swiss-based Sauber team, the newspaper reported.

Red Bull was involved with the now-defunct Arrows team and has been involved in Formula One and motor racing for years as well as in a range of action sports.

Previous article Kimi: 2004 not a lost year
Next article Jordan To Use Toyota Engines in 2005

Top Comments

Latest news