Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Practice extended after two red flags

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Practice extended after two red flags

What Kyle Busch meant to NASCAR and the modern fan

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
What Kyle Busch meant to NASCAR and the modern fan

Haas warns against raising F1 cost cap to fix 2027 power unit issues

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Haas warns against raising F1 cost cap to fix 2027 power unit issues

The steps Antonelli and Mercedes have taken to solve his F1 start problem

Formula 1
Canadian GP
The steps Antonelli and Mercedes have taken to solve his F1 start problem

Why WRC 2027 car project is the “most difficult” Toyota has faced

Feature
WRC
Rally Japan
Why WRC 2027 car project is the “most difficult” Toyota has faced

What Sky's new F1 TV deal means for Apple

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
What Sky's new F1 TV deal means for Apple

What will F1's switch to a 60-40 power split bring? The drivers give their verdict

Formula 1
Canadian GP
What will F1's switch to a 60-40 power split bring? The drivers give their verdict

Ferrari is down on power "even to Ford", says Leclerc

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Ferrari is down on power "even to Ford", says Leclerc

Portugal hopes to attract F1 to Algarve

Portugal hopes a new 200 million euro ($291.1 million) circuit being built in the Algarve tourist region can bring Formula One back to the country

Circuit director Paulo Pinheiro told Reuters on Monday that one F1 team had already booked the 4.7 km track in the south of Portugal for a test next January and there were talks in progress with others.

The Algarve International Circuit has been certified by the governing International Automobile Federation (FIA) and is expected to be ready by the end of October.

It is already due to host the final round of the Superbike world championship in November.

"The Government will do its best for Portugal to become part of the world's main championships," said Deputy Sports Minister Laurentino Dias.

"This circuit is prepared to host a range of motor races, from the most modest to Formula One."

Portugal was dropped from the Formula One calendar in 1997 due to safety problems at Estoril.

There were also Grands Prix held in Oporto and at Monsanto near Lisbon between 1958 and 1960.

The new complex covers 300 hectares of land between the port city of Portimao and the hills of Monchique, with a capacity for up to 100,000 spectators including a VIP tower with 15,000 seats.

It includes a football field, a luxury hotel and residential apartments.

Economy Minister Manuel Pinho said Portugal was interested in reviving the Grand Prix as part of efforts to bring much-needed private investment to the country's sluggish economy.

Previous article Bahrain boss open to night race idea
Next article Massa finishes Bahrain test on top

Top Comments