Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

McLaren: Pirelli F1 tests will help Ferrari, Red Bull for rainy Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
McLaren: Pirelli F1 tests will help Ferrari, Red Bull for rainy Canadian GP

BTCC Snetterton: Sensational Sutton strikes from 10th to win, disaster for Ingram

BTCC
Snetterton (300 Circuit)
BTCC Snetterton: Sensational Sutton strikes from 10th to win, disaster for Ingram

DTM Zandvoort: Van der Linde grabs victory for BMW as Dorr takes maiden podium

DTM
Zandvoort
DTM Zandvoort: Van der Linde grabs victory for BMW as Dorr takes maiden podium

Why wet Canadian GP will be "the perfect storm" for F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why wet Canadian GP will be "the perfect storm" for F1

BTCC Snetterton: Rainford dominates to lead home Ingram

BTCC
Snetterton (300 Circuit)
BTCC Snetterton: Rainford dominates to lead home Ingram

Why we need to talk about social media in F1

Feature
Formula 1
Why we need to talk about social media in F1

Super Formula Suzuka: Fukuzumi sees off Iwasa for Rookie Racing's first win

Super Formula
Suzuka
Super Formula Suzuka: Fukuzumi sees off Iwasa for Rookie Racing's first win

Hamilton’s sim-less approach seems to pay off as he outqualifies Leclerc twice at Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Hamilton’s sim-less approach seems to pay off as he outqualifies Leclerc twice at Canadian GP

Montoya leaves McLaren, de la Rosa to race

Juan Pablo Montoya has parted company with McLaren, just a few days after he announced that he was making the switch to NASCAR next year

A statement issued by McLaren on Tuesday morning claimed that the team and driver had reached a mutual agreement for him to step down immediately. He will be replaced by Spaniard Pedro de la Rosa, who last raced for the team at last year's Bahrain Grand Prix.

Montoya will now spend time at home in Miami with his family to finalise his preparations for his switch to NASCAR. Future boss Chip Ganassi had made it clear that he wanted Montoya to compete in some NASCAR Busch races this season.

Speaking in the McLaren statement, Montoya said: "I know that it will be a tough transition but I'm really excited about the opportunity to move into the NASCAR championship. I have enjoyed most of my time in Formula One and I'm grateful for this opportunity to settle my personal life and concentrate on my future career."

There were suggestions in the Spanish press on Tuesday that Montoya's parting with McLaren was the result of a breach of contract caused by the Colombian announcing his NASCAR deal without his current team's knowledge.

McLaren boss Ron Dennis said: "Juan Pablo is an exciting driver and immensely likeable character who will undoubtedly make a successful transition to the NASCAR scene.

"We have agreed that with so many things happening in Juan Pablo's life right now, he should take some time out of the car and prepare professionally and personally for the future."

The news brings an end to Montoya's Formula One career after 94 starts. He won seven races and scored a total of 30 podiums.

McLaren could not confirm that de la Rosa would be in the car for the rest of the season.


Previous article BMW sign Mercedes' Duesmann
Next article Kolles praises Midland's progress

Top Comments

Latest news