Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

DS Penske finishes in style with a victory for Barnard

Formula E
London ePrix II
DS Penske finishes in style with a victory for Barnard

Formula E London E-Prix: Wehrlein takes second title despite no points in season finale

Formula E
London ePrix II
Formula E London E-Prix: Wehrlein takes second title despite no points in season finale

DTM Nurburgring: Wittmann wins for BMW after AMG meltdown

DTM
Nurburgring
DTM Nurburgring: Wittmann wins for BMW after AMG meltdown

Why Garden Gate Green and Yamura White are all part of McLaren’s colourful history

Feature
Formula 1
Why Garden Gate Green and Yamura White are all part of McLaren’s colourful history

The changes that thrust BMW into title contention in WEC

WEC
The changes that thrust BMW into title contention in WEC

The best drives of F1 2026 so far, according to our writers

Formula 1
Dutch GP
The best drives of F1 2026 so far, according to our writers

A fine performance from DS Penske in race one at the London E-Prix

Formula E
London ePrix I
A fine performance from DS Penske in race one at the London E-Prix

Formula E London E-Prix: Wehrlein dominates race one to take championship lead

Formula E
London ePrix I
Formula E London E-Prix: Wehrlein dominates race one to take championship lead

Maverick Vinales wants quick decison on his MotoGP future

Maverick Vinales acknowledges that he needs to make a decision between Suzuki and Yamaha for his MotoGP future sooner rather than later

Vinales is the next big piece of the 2017 silly season to fall into place, as Yamaha seeks a replacement for the Ducati-bound Jorge Lorenzo.

Yamaha has publicly expressed its interest in the 21-year-old, who also feels a sense of loyalty to Suzuki, the manufacturer that gave him his start in MotoGP last year.

When asked whether he wanted to make a call before the next round at Le Mans on May 6-8, Vinales said: "Really, I want to clear it fast.

"Lorenzo made [his] decision, now I think it's important to take it out and concentrate on racing."

In its second year back in MotoGP, Suzuki has made significant progress in 2015, with Vinales sixth in the standings and team-mate Aleix Espargaro seventh.

Vinales started the Qatar season opener from the front row, crashed when he would have scored a maiden podium in Argentina and was fourth in Austin, before finishing sixth at Jerez on Sunday.

"It's really difficult," Vinales said of the choice.

"I trust Suzuki and I trust that still they can show me the results.

"At the moment I need to be sure. Doing one step that will make my future, I need to do the best option I can for me.

"I consider a lot the opinion of my closest people but at the end I always follows what my head says."

While a Yamaha ride alongside Valentino Rossi would currently give Vinales the best chance to challenge for a championship, he admits that the prospect of helping Suzuki's growth is appealing.

When asked which scenario he would prefer, he said: "Honestly, both would be very good.

"That you can have these two options are something that I dreamed [about] always when I was a kid.

"From Suzuki, it's a really nice dream, but we need to get the results.

"If you don't get the result, it's a mistake.

"About the Yamaha, it makes a lot of sense, because being alongside Valentino can be really important for my career and get on a bike that is already there on the top."

Previous article MotoGP Jerez testing: Marc Marquez fastest for Honda
Next article How Rossi taught himself new tricks

Top Comments

Latest news