Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

National
Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Feature
IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

The mental challenge Evans takes on at Rally Japan

WRC
Rally Japan
The mental challenge Evans takes on at Rally Japan

Why the Catalan GP chaos may finally force MotoGP riders to unite

Feature
MotoGP
Catalan GP
Why the Catalan GP chaos may finally force MotoGP riders to unite

Why Ford 'loves the V8 idea' in F1 amid changing road car strategy

Formula 1
Why Ford 'loves the V8 idea' in F1 amid changing road car strategy

What we learned from MotoGP's wretched Catalan GP

Feature
MotoGP
What we learned from MotoGP's wretched Catalan GP

Grapevine: Oz Organisers Against Move of Tennis Match

Australian Open chiefs are welcoming a possible shift from January to March for the tennis grand slam tournament, but their Formula One counterparts are furious at the suggestion.

Australian Open chiefs are welcoming a possible shift from January to March for the tennis grand slam tournament, but their Formula One counterparts are furious at the suggestion.

Paul McNamee, chief executive of the Melbourne grand slam, returned from a meeting of tennis officials in Lausanne this week, upbeat about the possibility of the tournament joining the Australian Grand Prix in March.

"If they were back-to-back in some form, the world focus on Melbourne would be unprecedented. It would set a new agenda for putting Melbourne on the map as an icon city," McNamee told reporters.

But Australian GP corporation chairman Ron Walker left tennis officials in no doubt of his view.

"Paul McNamee will find out to his peril that corporate Australia will not entertain people twice in a month," Walker told Australian Associated Press.

"We're not moving for Tennis Australia. We're staying in March and they can stay in January.

"Melbourne doesn't need to get on the map. It's already on the map because of all the events we've put on in the past decade."

Corporate Dollar

McNamee said talks had already begun with commercial partners and broadcasters about their attitude.

He added that the Australian Open would have more credibility if it was not played so early in the year. He said organisers could compensate for the lack of school holiday crowds in March compared to January by scheduling more late-afternoon matches.

"It may be alright where it is, but does it have more credibility if there are build-up events and people believe the players are better prepared?" McNamee said.

But Walker, who also heads Melbourne's major events committee, said the corporate dollar could not stretch for two of Australia's biggest annual sporting events to be in the same month and city.

He was also unimpressed by suggestions tennis players would welcome a move to February/March for the first major tournament of the year.

"Like Grand Prix drivers, tennis players get paid millions of dollars a year to entertain the public," he was quoted as saying in The Australian newspaper on Friday.

"If they're inconvenienced, so be it."

Previous article Button happy at BAR despite JV
Next article Mosley elects not to attend race weekend

Top Comments