Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Why Nurburgring 24 Hours agony may motivate Verstappen to return

Endurance
Why Nurburgring 24 Hours agony may motivate Verstappen to return

Final Catalan GP results as five riders penalised and Mir loses MotoGP podium

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Final Catalan GP results as five riders penalised and Mir loses MotoGP podium

Acosta slams Catalan GP calls: “It’s awful we acted as if nothing happened”

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Acosta slams Catalan GP calls: “It’s awful we acted as if nothing happened”

DS Penske solid despite frustrating finish in Monaco E-Prix

Formula E
Monaco ePrix II
DS Penske solid despite frustrating finish in Monaco E-Prix

Formula E Monaco E-Prix: Rowland reignites title challenge with first win of 2025-26

Formula E
Monaco ePrix II
Formula E Monaco E-Prix: Rowland reignites title challenge with first win of 2025-26

MotoGP Catalan GP: Di Giannantonio wins chaotic Barcelona race

MotoGP
Catalan GP
MotoGP Catalan GP: Di Giannantonio wins chaotic Barcelona race

Nurburgring 24 Hours: Mercedes win despite late failure for Verstappen Racing

Endurance
Nurburgring 24 Hours: Mercedes win despite late failure for Verstappen Racing

How F1's ADUO system works

Feature
Formula 1
How F1's ADUO system works

Grapevine: Mercedes Confirm Two-Year Deal for Alesi

Jean Alesi, who retired from Formula One at the end of last season, will race in the German DTM touring car series for Mercedes next season, the team confirmed on Wednesday.

Jean Alesi, who retired from Formula One at the end of last season, will race in the German DTM touring car series for Mercedes next season, the team confirmed on Wednesday.

"Mercedes and Jean Alesi are happy to announce a two-year contract with an option to continue the co-operation after the end of 2003," a Mercedes statement said. The 37-year-old Frenchman quit F1 after his 201st Grand Prix in Japan last month and had also been considering taking a drive in the American CART series.

Alesi, who raced for Prost and Jordan last year, tested the Mercedes touring car at Hockenheim in early November.

"I'm very happy to join Mercedes," he said. "I've always liked the DTM with its close competition. Without the electronic aids assisting you in Formula One the cars are very challenging. I consider my DTM involvement to be a big challenge for my further racing career."

Mercedes' director of motorsport Norbert Haug said the recruitment of Alesi was part of the team's policy to blend experienced drivers with young talents.

"In the last 13 years in Formula One, Jean was always one of the fastest drivers and his style of driving and his personality is very much loved by the public," Haug said. "When the opportunity to contract Jean arose, we didn't hesitate," he added.

Previous article Webber Expects Renault to Win Next Year
Next article Ralf says Williams favours Montoya...

Top Comments

Latest news