Gillett: Donington GP remains on track

Donington Park CEO Simon Gillett has dismissed reports of a rift between himself and Donington Ventures Leisure Ltd president Tom Wheatcroft, and has reasserted his claims that all of the circuit's preparations for the 2010 British Grand Prix remain on track

Gillett: Donington GP remains on track

A story in today's Telegraph claimed that Gillett had been served a writ by Donington Park founder Wheatcroft over unpaid rent, however Gillett said there was no war between himself and the 85-year-old.

"Far from it," he said. "The Wheatcrofts and I get on incredibly well. Tom is our president, and we are working with them. Tom is as wedded to the success here as we are.

"It's interesting. It's that point in our project where people are looking to make some gain out of what we have. We are on track, we have got the money, we're going forward, and as we've said, at the end of March we'll be coming out and telling you exactly how it is all being done."

Gillett also elaborated on his rebuttal of media reports from earlier this week claiming that DVLL had debts of £66.7 million and made a loss of £12.4 million last year, based on company reports that were said to have been filed at Companies House.

On Monday Gillett denied the claim and questioned where the figures had come from, insisting that the company's reports had not even been filed yet. But speaking at Donington Park today, he said that the figures represented the acquisition costs of the Donington facility.

"What they are reporting is our 2006/7 account," he explained. "When we bought the business, we paid a certain amount of money for the business and in that year we decided that all the acquisition costs, we'd write off in one year. So is it actually a loss? No. It's an accounting treatment; how we treated the acquisition costs of the business in that year.

"Financially, we are where we said we would be. We are in rude health, and we are ready for our financing round coming up at the end of March."

shares
comments
FIA receives first licence applications

Previous article

FIA receives first licence applications

Next article

Bourdais glad waiting game is over

Bourdais glad waiting game is over
Load comments
The ‘backwards step’ that is the right move for Formula 1 Plus

The ‘backwards step’ that is the right move for Formula 1

OPINION: With its days apparently numbered, the MGU-H looks set to be dropped from Formula 1’s future engine rules in order to entice new manufacturers in. While it may appear a change of direction, the benefits for teams and fans could make the decision a worthwhile call

The floundering fortunes of F1’s many Lotus reboots Plus

The floundering fortunes of F1’s many Lotus reboots

Team Lotus ceased to exist in 1994 - and yet various parties have been trying to resurrect the hallowed name, in increasingly unrecognisable forms, ever since. DAMIEN SMITH brings GP Racing’s history of the legendary team to an end with a look at those who sought to keep the flame alive in Formula 1

Why the 2021 title fight is far from F1's worst, despite its toxic background Plus

Why the 2021 title fight is far from F1's worst, despite its toxic background

OPINION: Formula 1 reconvenes for the Russian Grand Prix two weeks after the latest blow in ‘Max Verstappen vs Lewis Hamilton’. While the Silverstone and Monza incidents were controversial, they thankfully lacked one element that so far separates the 2021 title fight from the worst examples of ugly championship battles

Formula 1
Sep 22, 2021
How F1’s other champion to emerge from 1991 thrived at Lotus Plus

How F1’s other champion to emerge from 1991 thrived at Lotus

Mika Hakkinen became Michael Schumacher’s biggest rival in Formula 1 in the late-90s and early 2000s, having also made his F1 debut in 1991. But as MARK GALLAGHER recalls, while Schumacher wowed the world with a car that was eminently capable, Hakkinen was fighting to make his mark with a famous team in terminal decline

Formula 1
Sep 21, 2021
The forgotten F1 comeback that began Jordan’s odyssey  Plus

The forgotten F1 comeback that began Jordan’s odyssey 

Before Michael Schumacher – or anyone else – had driven the 191 (or 911 as it was initially called), Eddie Jordan turned to a fellow Irishman to test his new Formula 1 car. JOHN WATSON, a grand prix winner for Penske and McLaren, recalls his role in the birth of a legend…

Formula 1
Sep 20, 2021
The squandered potential of a 70s F1 underdog Plus

The squandered potential of a 70s F1 underdog

A podium finisher in its first outing but then never again, the BRM P201 was a classic case of an opportunity squandered by disorganisation and complacency, says STUART CODLING

Formula 1
Sep 18, 2021
The other notable Monza escape that F1 should learn from Plus

The other notable Monza escape that F1 should learn from

OPINION: The headlines were dominated by the Italian Grand Prix crash between Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton, who had the halo to thank for avoiding potentially serious injury. But two days earlier, Formula 1 had a lucky escape with a Monza pitlane incident that could also have had grave consequences

Formula 1
Sep 17, 2021
How Monza only added more questions to F1's sprint race conundrum Plus

How Monza only added more questions to F1's sprint race conundrum

With two sprint races under its belt, Formula 1 must now consider its options for them going forward. While they've helped deliver exciting racing on Sundays, the sprints themselves have been somewhat lacking - creating yet another conundrum for F1 to solve...

Formula 1
Sep 16, 2021