Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Feature
Formula 1
Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Formula 1 teams continue push to save RRA

Red Bull Racing, Ferrari, McLaren and Mercedes GP plan to hold further talks to try and end a stalemate over Formula 1's Resource Restriction Agreement (RRA) after making slight progress on the matter in a meeting earlier this week

Amid efforts to keep the RRA in place, despite a split within the Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA), the four major teams gathered in private on Monday to see if they can end their differences before other outfits get involved in the talks once again.

And although no party present at the meeting was willing to comment officially on the outcome, sources have suggested that the talks were positive - but further discussions were still necessary as no final agreement was reached.

Red Bull Racing and Ferrari announced earlier this month that they were to withdraw from FOTA on the back of the long-running dispute about the RRA.

However, Red Bull Racing team principal Christian Horner made it clear last weekend that his outfit remained committed to keeping cost controls in place - despite acknowledging the difficulties of finding an agreement for the RRA that all parties were happy with.

"It needs to encompass all aspects of the car," said Horner. "Dealing with equivalence is always quite dangerous. Each of the teams has a different make up, different ownership.

"Some belong to motor manufacturers and some are independent and, if you look at the things that work, like the testing, like the wind tunnel hours, like the restriction in personnel, the things that you can touch and feel work quite well. But as soon as you start trading equivalence of hours versus external spend, that's where it seems to run into some difficulty.

"There's a willingness from all of the teams to try and contain costs, it's just the manner that you do it. And you can't exclude the engine from that with some teams producing their own engines, so it's important to look at the teams as a whole rather than cherry-picking the chassis."

Previous article Pedro de la Rosa says HRT move not a step back, but expects huge challenge
Next article Eric Boullier says signing no pay drivers shows Lotus Renault's ambition

Top Comments