Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

How GM tech accelerated Cadillac's F1 entry

Formula 1
Canadian GP
How GM tech accelerated Cadillac's F1 entry

MotoGP chief defends officiating of Catalan GP

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP chief defends officiating of Catalan GP

The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

Feature
Formula 1
The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

How Aprilia's Barcelona collapse showed the pressures of leading MotoGP's title race

Feature
MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
How Aprilia's Barcelona collapse showed the pressures of leading MotoGP's title race

Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

National
Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Feature
IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Fiat's Cantarella to Head Carmakers' Own F1 Company

FIAT boss Paolo Cantarella will head a company set-up by Formula One carmakers to run their own Grand Prix series should talks with rights holders Kirch come to nothing.

FIAT boss Paolo Cantarella will head a company set-up by Formula One carmakers to run their own Grand Prix series should talks with rights holders Kirch come to nothing.

Turin-based FIAT issued a statement on Tuesday, on behalf of the new firm, saying that the manufacturers were "in the process of setting up in the Netherlands a joint company under the name GPWC Holding B.V."

FIAT chief executive Cantarella, who also presides over the European Carmakers' Association ACEA, will be the first chairman. The other members of its board will be Juergen Hubbert of DaimlerChrysler, who will be vice-chairman, Patrick Faure of Renault, Burkard Goeschel of BMW and Wolfgang Reitzle of Ford.

Hubbert said earlier this month that FIAT-owned Ferrari's president Luca di Montezemolo would also be on the board but he was not named and Cantarella appeared to have taken his place. FIAT said the carmakers had met the teams and invited them to participate in the new series which they say will start not later than 2008.

Most of the teams are owned by or work closely with carmakers but are bound by the terms of the so-called Concorde Agreement which was negotiated with Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone. That agreement runs out in 2007.

German Kirch Group now control 75 percent of Ecclestone's Formula One holding company SLEC, who have secured the commercial rights to Formula One for 100 years. Kirch are heavily involved in pay television and the carmakers are determined to keep Formula One on free to air television with more control of the revenues.

Previous article Frentzen Wants to Stay at Prost
Next article F1 manufacturers set up new company

Top Comments