Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

National
Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Feature
IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

The mental challenge Evans takes on at Rally Japan

WRC
Rally Japan
The mental challenge Evans takes on at Rally Japan

Why the Catalan GP chaos may finally force MotoGP riders to unite

Feature
MotoGP
Catalan GP
Why the Catalan GP chaos may finally force MotoGP riders to unite

Why Ford 'loves the V8 idea' in F1 amid changing road car strategy

Formula 1
Why Ford 'loves the V8 idea' in F1 amid changing road car strategy

What we learned from MotoGP's wretched Catalan GP

Feature
MotoGP
What we learned from MotoGP's wretched Catalan GP

FIA Offers $1 million for Proof of Rule Cheats

Formula One's governing body has offered a $1 million reward to anyone who provides evidence of cheating, as well as heavy fines for the guilty teams.

Formula One's governing body has offered a $1 million reward to anyone who provides evidence of cheating, as well as heavy fines for the guilty teams.

An International Automobile Federation (FIA) spokesman confirmed on Saturday that the offer had been made to encourage 'whistleblowers' after a package of technical measures was introduced.

FIA president Max Mosley announced on Wednesday that two-way telemetry, allowing engineers to change a car's settings by remote command, and team-to-car radio would be banned immediately.

Other measures to cut costs and improve racing included the elimination of so-called 'driver aids' such as traction and launch control by 2004 at the latest.

An FIA source said that the world body was preparing to toughen its stance over the banning of the electronic systems.

"Driver aids cannot be used from 2004 but we are becoming increasingly sceptical of the teams' inability to switch off all launch control and other driver aids for the 2003 season," the source told Reuters.

"We are considering very heavy fines for any team found to be using illegal systems.

"And, in addition to our own technical inspections, we are also considering a $1 million reward for the receipt of any information which will lead to the conviction of a team found to be acting illegally.

"The FIA has already made it clear that we intend to work on a zero-tolerance basis."

Switched Off

Two of the 10 teams in Formula One this season, one of them Honda-powered BAR, have already experimented with disconnecting the traction and launch control systems in testing.

Traction control reduces wheelspin, particularly in the wet, while launch control allows for a quick and smooth getaway from the starting grid at the touch of a button on the steering wheel.

The Sun newspaper and Italy's Gazzetta dello Sport both reported that Briton Jenson Button had tested without either systems in Barcelona this week.

"BAR switched it off and it was relatively easy. The other team also showed that it was possible to switch it off before Melbourne, no problem," said an FIA source.

The 10 team bosses met Mosley and Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone in London on Wednesday and smaller teams, who were also helped with extra cash for next season, welcomed the move.

Team technical heads also met FIA race director and technical chief Charlie Whiting on Friday to discuss the possibility of banning traction control by the start of the season.

The Gazzetta reported that the talks were long and heated, with some teams wanting the systems to remain this season and others pushing for an immediate switch-off.

Previous article GPWC Unhappy with F1 Changes
Next article Mosley: Without Change F1 Could Have Collapsed

Top Comments